I'm making a front bumper tow bar connection by removing the front bumper. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I'm making a front bumper tow bar connection by removing the front bumper.

johnrhadfield

Reaction score
City, State
San Angelo, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger '2000
I need advice. I want to buy a simple tow bar. That's no big deal. I want to tow my Ford 2000 Ranger. I have spoken with some trailor welding shops and even talked to Ford. I am not sure if there is even a tow package available to connect to the front bumper of the Ranger.

I am thinking of removing the front bumper completely thereby exposing the four bolt holes (2 on each frame rail) and then there is another bolt hole on each frame rail I guess about six inches back from the front on the side of each frame rail.

That's 3 bolt holes on each frame rail. So to that I want to put 2 plates up front on the sides on each frame rail. Then I want to tie the 2 frame rails across the front with a crossmember across the front. To the crossmember I would then bolt on the tow bar. I am told the crossmember is necessary to make sure that the UNIBODY is not bent. That is my major concern. I do not want to bend the UNIBODY when towing my Ranger. I think this is a sound plan, but does anyone have any better ideas or cautions to this plan?

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a front hitch on my ranger.

Makes it easy to back trailer into tight spots.

And is a great license plate holder.

would that work as a tow point also?

I would think your idea would work only I would come up with a plan to keep the bumper in tact...What if you come down vertically off your frame using one of your existing bolt holes and drill a 2nd for more strength and support but that way you could drop it down and run it beneath the bumper (may have to remove your plastic piece that hangs down underneath)...use some heavier rectangle or square tubing to go across between your vertical plates that you have bolted in and wholla, you can keep your bumper, I'd just use some heavy flat, maybe even like 1/2-3/4 x like 3" flat iron for your vertical pieces and then just join them at the bottom with your square or rectangle and bolt your hitch onto the front side...Hope it makes sense what I'm trying to say, that's why I typed it about 2-3 different ways...hard without a picture...I weld/fabricate for a living, if you have any questions, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number...
Rj

It's Ironic but I'm a fabricator also and when I read the original post I thought of the same design as RampageMax but with a pin setup to be able to remove all but the drop plates. Very good idea RampageMax.

It's Ironic but I'm a fabricator also and when I read the original post I thought of the same design as RampageMax but with a pin setup to be able to remove all but the drop plates. Very good idea RampageMax.

The pin idea is also a great addition to it...I guess I just said I'd use bolts with lock nuts or something, just incase that cotter pin ever decided to snap or something going down the interstate...Either way I think it would work great...Thanks lifted93explorer...

I'm not a fabricator and I dont think using the existing bumper mounts/holes is a good idea.

Those bumper mounts were designed to be pushed on like on a collision - not pulled on as would be the case on a tow bar. Inspect the welds that hold those "tabs" onto the chasiss - looks insufficient.

@Ronald Hribar

Where did you get the "front hitch"?

What does it look like and how does it connect to the frame?

To all: I talked to Uhaul and they have a specific tow bar that requires removal of bumper and bolts to the 4 frame holes( 2 on each frame). I think the hole on each frame about 6 inches from the front are for connecting the safety chain from the tow bar to the Ranger.

I am still a little leary. I talked to a trailor shop in San Angelo and they said that with grade A bolts the tow bar is rated to pull 5000 lbs.

John

@Rj,

I don't exactly understand your plan. Ironicly the welding shop wanted to create a drop down(under the bumper) that was welded to each frame(4 plates total; 2 plates on each frame 1 plate on either side) with a cross member across the front tying it all together.

I guess if I go with welding plates on the frame how do I measure the strength of the plates to make sure they can handle the weight?

Thanks all,

John

I got the front hitch from Curtis industries.It was on E-Bay You can use preexisting holes to bolt it on. But I drilled UP thru the frame and bolted it on. It has same capacity as the rear hitch.
I had to cut a hole thru the plastic under the bumper for the recever to go thru.
I had to alter my skid plate to fit arond hitch. I also like it to push anything without wrecking bumper

forgot to decribe hitch, It looks exactly like the rear hitch looks like, except that it is made to fit in the front

Rj,

Can you be more specific I know you said "curtis industries" However I am lost as to what type of hitch you are referring to. Is this a standard ball hitch for the back used for the front?

John

Yes. A hitch like that is used on rear of truck to tow trailers. But made to fit under the frame in the front. And the receiver comes out under the front bumper

Rj,

Ok thanks. How do you connect a what? A special "tow bar" to the receiver? And then tow?

John

I do not tow my ranger. I use front hitch to back trailers into place. To hook my winch on. And have a special setup to carry long lenths of lumber. It puts a front point for ladder rack.

So what does you tow bar look like. Can you make a attachment that would slide in receiver of ranger and hook up to tow bar.

What i suggested was to use something ready made and not have to remove front bumper.

I wasn't talking about using the bumper mounts, I was talking about running a plate vertically down the frame with 2 vertical holes (probably would have to drill them), with some heavy bolts running through, connecting these plates to the frame...THEN running a piece of heavy tubing across to join them at the bottom and then bolt your hitch onto those vertical plates, may have to set the tubing an inch or two higher than the bottom of the plates so that you have something to drill through that isn't blocked with tubing...wish I could draw it out for ya'...easy to explain but hard at the same time, haha...

Rj

Also, I don't know how you would "measure" how much weight it would handle but I'd think if you use like 3 or 4 inch by 1/2 or 3/4 plate and some heavy tubing, that it should be able to tow a F-650...So total of my plan would be 4 heavy bolts, 2 pieces of plate, 1 or 2 pieces of rectangle or square tubing for cross supports and then do what you gotta do to bolt your hitch onto it...

I concur RampageMax, I can see what your explaining and I thought about laying one out and taking a picture of it but it's not that complicated. Yes 1/2" plate would be more than adequate to tow a Ranger, hell 1/4" would do the job with bracing, and use grade 8 bolts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back