• Register Today It's free!

impressive MPG observed

bender

Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Limited
Usually the MPG threads are negative, so I thought i would share my recent observation. I have an 08 v8 explorer which i picked up in december with about 12,000 miles. finally took a road trip this week from PA to DC (about 180 Miles). about 35 miles of rural two lane then highway the rest of the way into Arlington VA.

I have the SCT X3 tuned by jim henson and was running the 89 street tune with a full tank of 89. I reset the mpg computer in my driveway and when i arrived at my hotel, the overall average mpg reading was 22.1 mpg. some cruise control and prob averaged 60-72 MPH for the trip. I was very pleased with this.

"unfortunatly" i dont have stock figures to compare as i got my X3 tuner pretty quickly, anyone either stock or tuned have similar experience?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yea, our trucks in general aren't the best on the road which is understandable, but they're not the worst either. You're right many people do post negatively, like its shocking lol.

Even with the 5.0 in my 2000, I can get it up to 21-22 at times. You just have to be aware of how you drive......sounds like you're enjoying that SCT X3 my friend haha

Yeah, our stock V8 does really well on the MPG front.
We've done many miles of loaded travel (sport trac V8) which include scooters, windsurf gear and mountain bikes and we often pull over 20mpg.

Usually the MPG threads are negative, so I thought i would share my recent observation. I have an 08 v8 explorer which i picked up in december with about 12,000 miles. finally took a road trip this week from PA to DC (about 180 Miles). about 35 miles of rural two lane then highway the rest of the way into Arlington VA.

I have the SCT X3 tuned by jim henson and was running the 89 street tune with a full tank of 89. I reset the mpg computer in my driveway and when i arrived at my hotel, the overall average mpg reading was 22.1 mpg. some cruise control and prob averaged 60-72 MPH for the trip. I was very pleased with this.

"unfortunatly" i dont have stock figures to compare as i got my X3 tuner pretty quickly, anyone either stock or tuned have similar experience?

You should easily get that mileage with a stock tune.

aldive- I know you are the resident fuel economy guru, and am curious about your comment. given the published epa numbers for the V8, i didnt think my results would be that common. Can you provide some more insight? In PA we are still on the winter blend of gas so usually the mpg's in the winter are lower than the EPA estimates during these months. the 6spd really is nice and keeps the rpms below 2000 even at 70mph, thats gotta help.

Bender,

Best I ever did in my 06 V8 4x4 was on a 360 mile trip 250 miles hwy and the remainder back country roads, running about 70 mph on the highway and 60-65 on back roads my vehicle said 23.5 mpg. When I filled up and checked it manually it was around 22.9. This was a stock vehicle, no tuners or anything and the vehicle was loaded with gear for a 1 week vacation.

While your 22.1 is very good, especially for a 4x4 (I assume) V8 there is room for improvement.

Back