Improving my 1994 Ford Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Improving my 1994 Ford Explorer Limited

Harrellm99

Reaction score
City, State
Moses Lake, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer Lmtd
So I am the proud new owner of a new to me 1994 Explorer! Plan is to run this as a pseudo Build Thread. It's only going to be updated when I remember to take pictures mostly. And most of the work being done by me as my buddies teach me to do it.
Alright, so getting past the explaining of what/why this thread is, we come to what I want to do! I am hoping to replace the suspension before July of 2017, as after that I am going to be gone for 16 weeks for Basic/AIT. The muffler has holes, broken brackets, and rocks in it and I am going to be replacing that sometime in the next month or so. Before that particular job, I am going to have someone look over the engine of the car as it feels my V6 is waaaaay low on power. And sometime (Yes once more before I go) I am going to get the whole thing repainted. It is currently this weird blueish green color, and I was thinking more of the two tone Green/Beige deal. Minor jobs (Likely for tomorrow): Tighten up my Driver/Passenger doors in the front. They drop a good 1/4 inch every time you open them and need to be slammed to make up the height difference. (Could try lifting them but it felt like they wanted to let go when I did that), and get the drill and a piece of wood and do a temporary fix on my door handle until payday (Duct tape and screws are lifesavers for short term)

Welcome.

The doors should not be lifted or slammed to close them, that causes more and more damage to the latches. Adjust the doors to perfectly meet the door strikers. If the hinges are worn out, replace the bushings with a kit that is low cost.

The door strikers are likely all toast, the plastic bushings disintegrate. You have to buy new strikers to get the bushings. eBay has them for about $8 each, parts stores will cost you $11 or so, and Rock Auto sells the same Dorman strikers for just over $6 each.

Change the trans fluid soon, that trans is the weakest link. Take really good care of that.

Have fun with your truck, I loved my first(94 Limited) and still have most of it(rear clip) living on in my 99.

Back