In a 94 Explorer what oil does the front and rear differentials take? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

In a 94 Explorer what oil does the front and rear differentials take?

Garro14

Reaction score
City, State
Prosser, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4 Door 4X4
I got a 94 Explorer 4.0 L Auto 4x4. The axle code is D4. What oil and how much for both the front and back?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the rear it take 75w-90 I think the front is the same if not its 90w-115 good luck

Differential lubricant
Standard Axle...................................SAE 80W/90 rear axle lubricant
Traction Loc Axle..............................Synthetic SAE 75W/140 rear axle lubricant*

*Traction-Loc axles add 4oz. of friction modifier when oil is changed

I got a 94 Explorer 4.0 L Auto 4x4. The axle code is D4. What oil and how much for both the front and back?

Well.... other than the fact that you could have just asked at the parts store, or you could have TRIED to search a little bit to find the answer on your own instead of starting the bazillionth thread asking this very question.

Rear end takes 2.8 quarts. They recommend 75w140, I use 75w90. You have a 3.73 limited slip rear-end so you should add 4 oz of friction modifier.

Front axle.... I cant remember, what is it 2 quarts? 75w90

Also, when you just repeat your original post like that, you sound like a jerk. If you wanted more information, just say so. However, all this has been posted a dozen times before... If people would use the search button more often instead of just asking the same questions over and over again, it would be a lot easier to find information on this site, because believe me, there is a LOT of information available on here.

I'm sorry about my multiple posts. I'm new here and I'm still figuring out how to use this site. I was kind of getting frustrated and I didn't understand what my book says. Thanks for the help.

Back