Inaccessible freeze plugs - FIXED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inaccessible freeze plugs - FIXED

barb

Reaction score
City, State
camarillo, ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all, I have a 91 Explorer with an antifreeze leak. The mechanic has told me that several freeze plugs look leaky but to fix them he needs to take the engine out. Said he could get the old plugs out but doesn't have enough work room to get the new ones in. He gave me an estimate of $1,526 which includes some work that may have to be done with the air conditioning system due to engine removal. I'm thinking a second opinion is in order but wondered if anyone here has had any experience with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They suck. I had to do the driver's side front..

IMG_01141.jpg

Hi all, I have a 91 Explorer with an antifreeze leak. The mechanic has told me that several freeze plugs look leaky but to fix them he needs to take the engine out. Said he could get the old plugs out but doesn't have enough work room to get the new ones in. He gave me an estimate of $1,526 which includes some work that may have to be done with the air conditioning system due to engine removal. I'm thinking a second opinion is in order but wondered if anyone here has had any experience with this.

double check that it isn't the intake manifold gaskets or head gaskets first.

There's no way I would pay $1500 to have freeze plugs replaced! If you're going to spend that much money, you might as well dig a little deeper into your wallet and go for a reman engine. Have you tried using a stop leak, such as Alumaseal or Barr's?:usa:

Which freeze plugs are they?

Also, you don't need to open the a/c system to pull the motor.. I did it easily (replaced the motor) w/out pulling apart the a/c.

~Mark

that's over twice what you would pay for a used engine even a newer one.

I say find a new mechanic.

Or pull it your self it's easy to do.

Haynes manual will spell it all out for you.

Inaccessible freeze plugs

Many thanks to all for the input on my leaky freeze plug problem. Did find another mechanic who ended up fixing 6 freeze plugs for $375. He didn't have to remove the engine--plugs were on the sides.

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed.. and thats a good price for all 6.

The plugs on the side aren't too bad to replace.. Just kinda hard to get to.

Its the plugs on the heads that are impossible to get to.

~Mark

Back