Incorrect R134 recharge

johnc6955

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
Help,
I decided to save some money and recharge my a/c on my 1997 Explorer 4x4 XLT. I used a gauge and found I was low. While adding some R134, the can I was recharging tipped over and discharged when it wasn't upright (I had left it upright but it was freezing up and I went to get some warm water). Now I am concerned about the effect of any liquid refrigerant on my system. It was a 12 oz. can. If there is a potential problem, is there a remedy such as a discharge (per EPA requirements of course!) and refill? Thanks for any replies.

John Clemens

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it should be ok........

You should be okay, I have held the cans upside down before, not sure why, but never had any negative consequences.

You are charging on the high side of the system it will go to the accumilator(black cylinder with condensation) before it gets back to compressor. I am mechanic and I service air conditioners all the time, and I have tried upside down and right side up to see which is faster. The only way that is faster is like you had stated placing the can in warm water.
You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

I am not totally sure but....

It is my understanding that you charge a A/C from the low side or suction side, and in this case it must receice gas, not liquid as you can't compress liquid. I also always thought that only the commercial equipment charged on the high side.
I always put the can in very hot water and it didn't take long to put a pound of refrigerant into the system, especially with a high idle.

You charge the low side with the kits. You are OK. Any liquid expanded into gas almost instantly.

The boiling point for refrigerant at sea level, 14.7 psi, R-134 boils at -21 degrees, so it is a gas instatntly like Steve said.

Back