2004 Ranger heater core questions

SuperGordo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer ST
I'm about to replace the heater core in my buddys 04 Ranger. This is a 2WD, Auto, 3.0 extended cab truck.
Some background before I ask my question. I'm a skilled mechanic, I'm not afraid at all to pull the dashboard(Done plenty in other vehicles). I've researched several "instructions" for replacing the heater core. I have the tools and the time.
My question is that what I have read says it's required to recover the refrigerant and recharge AC and the end of the process. Has anyone been successful at replacing the heater core on a 2004 without discharging the R134? I know I've been able to get around that in several other cars.

Anyone out there who can relate real world experience to me? Thanks in advance!!:D

You dont have to do it but it is harder to do the job without removing the evap housing. You can unbolt it and move it back slightly to get the nuts on the firewall.

Thanks! That's the way it worked out. Let's just say the instructions I read added many steps in that didn't really count..

Back