Inexpensive, easy intake and exhaust mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inexpensive, easy intake and exhaust mods

Janob09

Reaction score
City, State
Earlysville va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 explorer sport
Hey gang, is just like to share a couple inexpensive modifications that have improved the intake and exhaust sound of my '14 Explorer Sport. For the intake I removed the OEM airbox, and cut the bottom of the box off just below where the filter sits so I would be able to secure the filter in the engine bay. I left the inlet tube from the grill to feed outside air into the engine bay right below the air box to keep IAT at a reasonable level. By keeping the top half of the airbox I was able to keep one factory mount so the box wouldn't move around too much in the engine bay. So far there is an audible improvement in intake sound and turbo spool.
For the exhaust, I initially got some flowmaster super 10s which sounded super rowdy behind the car but droned like a **** and I couldn't take it... Ultimately, I deleted the mufflers entirely with a straight 2 1/4 pipe and some resonated exhaust tips and I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound both inside and out. I plan on recording and posting on YouTube so I can copy the link here. Ultimately, I do plan on getting a legitimate intake along with all the appropriate parts to run a mild tune but so far this whole endeavor cost me less than $100 and a few hours time...

very nice

I never considered cutting the bottom of the filter housing. That gives me some options and ideas. Thanks for sharing.

very nice

I never considered cutting the bottom of the filter housing. That gives me some options and ideas. Thanks for sharing.
Glad I could give some inspiration! The trick is cutting just below where the filter is clamped in to keep it secure.
Good luck!

Hey gang, is just like to share a couple inexpensive modifications that have improved the intake and exhaust sound of my '14 Explorer Sport. For the intake I removed the OEM airbox, and cut the bottom of the box off just below where the filter sits so I would be able to secure the filter in the engine bay. I left the inlet tube from the grill to feed outside air into the engine bay right below the air box to keep IAT at a reasonable level. By keeping the top half of the airbox I was able to keep one factory mount so the box wouldn't move around too much in the engine bay. So far there is an audible improvement in intake sound and turbo spool.
For the exhaust, I initially got some flowmaster super 10s which sounded super rowdy behind the car but droned like a **** and I couldn't take it... Ultimately, I deleted the mufflers entirely with a straight 2 1/4 pipe and some resonated exhaust tips and I'm pleasantly surprised with the sound both inside and out. I plan on recording and posting on YouTube so I can copy the link here. Ultimately, I do plan on getting a legitimate intake along with all the appropriate parts to run a mild tune but so far this whole endeavor cost me less than $100 and a few hours time...
What’s your YouTube name so I can hear your explorer?

Back