Info Needed: 16 pin connector for 5R55E | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Info Needed: 16 pin connector for 5R55E

762mm

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT (4x4, SOHC)
Hello fellow classic Explorer enthusiasts,

My 1999 daily driver Ex has been behaving so good in the last few years that I haven't been around these forums much. I've had the transmission rebuilt just over 2 years ago at a cost of $3000... which is more than the market value of the truck and made a huge dent in my budget at the time, but I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of the truck (I maintain it very well and everything on it is in relatively excellent shape).

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago I started getting an intermittent CEL with code P0715 : "Input turbine speed sensor A circuit", which essentially means that the internal front speed sensor is not communicating with the PCM all the time. Shifting, so far, has been unaffected and the CEL comes and sometimes goes away on its' own. I cleared it a few times with my code reader too, but it comes back after a few days. I suspect corroded wires at the 16-pin plug that goes to the transmission, as I've had some wiring problems with the rear ABS sensor too lately - and when pulled last summer, the old wires from 1999 literally disintegrated in my fingers (I fixed the issue with new wires and a new rear ABS sensor plug). My truck is 18 years old and a daily driver (about 170,000 miles), including in our salty Canadian winters... so the wires going bad is not a big surprise. I do rustproof the truck every year, but it only protects the bare metal mostly.

Anyway, I am looking for a new external 16-pin connector that connects from the PCM to the transmission, but Google searches just give me hits for the internal trans harness... even Rockauto doesn't seem to carry this plug for some reason. Can anyone help me identify this part, or even better supply a part number? Seems like Rockauto has all the replacement connectors for my truck, except that one... and if they don't carry it, I know I'm in trouble! :(

A search through Google images reveals that this is the type of connection my transmission has (the black square connection with 16 pins in it). I need the connector that plugs into it from the outside, as I'm 99% certain the outside wires are rotten.

Any info on this mystery connector would be very appreciated. Thanks in advance!

0029.jpg

That plug is part of the wiring harness. May try a salvage yard as when they take these units out the just cut the harness and leave the plug intact on the transmission.

That plug is part of the wiring harness. May try a salvage yard as when they take these units out the just cut the harness and leave the plug intact on the transmission.

Thanks for the reply, I was afraid of this. So, unlike all other "connectors" that appear to be sold out there (at Rockauto, etc), this is the only one where you can't just buy a repair plug for? The issue I have is that in this climate everything rots quite fast, so if I buy a plug/wiring from a salvage yard, it may not be in much better shape than my old one... :(

I'm somewhat at a loss here. Is there an alternate solution, by any chance?

Back