• Register Today It's free!

****ing crankshaft pulley

follybob

Reaction score
City, State
Cahrleston SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT
Does anyone have a good way to get the crankshaft pulley off?? I bought the puller and stretched the bolts that go into the pulley. I tightened the puller as much as I could with a 1/2" ratchet but the pulley didn't move. Tell me what to do before I buy grade 8 bolts and put the impact wrench on this thing. I sprayed it with W/D before beginning. Any shade tree wisdom would be appreciated

Rob P.

i dont that wd will help its a water displacer you need some thing like penetrine or another penetrating fluid spray it on and wait 24 hours

The harmonic balancer on a 4.0 is a royal pain to remove. First off you need to long METRIC bolts. The bolts from the a/c compressor are perfect for this, just take two loose from there and use them. Then you will need to take the bolt out of the end of the balancer and then start it back in the end of the crank a few threads. You will have to use the end of the balancer bolt to push against because you don't have anything else to do it with. Install the puller and push against the bolt until you pull the balancer out enough till it hits the head of the bolt on the inside of the balancer. Remove the puller and USUALLY you can wiggle it the rest of the way off, I've had to GENTLY tap on them before with a small hammer to get them the rest of the way off.

Its a pain but if you have to do it......

Later Doug904.

Hmmmmm....

You did take the bolt out of the crank and insert a smaller diameter longer bolt into the thread well to push against. Otherwise you are hust pushing against the harmonic balancer. Only problem I've had is getting the bolt loose. If you are replacing the crank seal, measure the distance the seal is in from the face. There is no lip in the back to set the distance and the seal will just push through.

Back