• Register Today It's free!

Initial Review-2013 EX Sport

langla4

Reaction score
City, State
Fullerton CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
First, a little about my background: neurotic perfectionist. Previously driving a 2004 Cayenne, 2001 911 and 1991 BMW 318is (still own).

My Sport finally arrived yesterday. A shout-out to my dealer who, unlike what others have experienced with their dealers, kept me posted from August through delivery-something nice to be said about dealing with a family owned dealership.

After reviewing this Forum for months, I was well aware not to take delivery at night or in the rain. At 9:30 AM I inspected the vehicle with an eye toward issues mentioned by others: scratched wheels, moldings, paint etc.. Glad to report this vehicle had absolutely no exterior damage from either the factory or delivery process. Nicely done, Ford.

Next I examined the interior. As others have noted, the only slight imperfection was the alignment of aluminum on the passenger door to the vent on the dashboard-but only on the passenger side! Worth a complaint: no way. All other gaps were well within my expectations and consistent with modern manufacturing processes.

It took the dealer three tries to sync my iPhone and they succeeded.

Having been driving the Cayenne for all these years and a lot of miles, it isn't really fair to compare the Sport to my past experience. But who says I have to be fair? Comparing the overall condition upon delivery, the Sport wins. The Cayenne had rattles from day one; none on the Sport. Visibility in the Cayenne has the edge. Of course, the Sport is larger so you would expect this. But here is a shocker and one Ford doesn't seem to push in their advertising: I think the Sport brakes are equal to or better than the Cayenne in daily driving. Now two days of driving is hardly fair but first impressions count, just ask my wife.

The Sport is equipped with electric steering. So far, the transition from hydraulic to electric has not been smooth. I mean that literally. It will take time to safely and smoothly develop the needed "feel". So far, I'm jerking in the turns at all but low speed. Maybe I'm just too darn old to make this transformation but heck, got to get with the new technology sometime.

And that brings me to the use of plastic, sheet metal and the overall feel of quality. Ford has reduced the weight in order to meet gas mileage goals. The feel of the hood sheet metal was surprisingly flexible (noted upon waxing it). The door edges seem "thin" compared to the Cayenne. The seat backs on the second row are just flimsy as noted by another Forum participant. Oh well, it is in the name of better mileage and not cutting corners, IMHO.

Bob Seger, Tina Turner and Rod Stewart never sounded better than on the Sony stereo. Loved plugging in my 8GB UBS drive and shuttle playing all that music.
The navigation has up to the date and time warnings of traffic alerts-a must here in SoCal. It kept me off the 91 Freeway this morning for which my anger management counselor was most appreciative (just joking). The back up camera with cross traffic sensor is fantastic. Backing out of my driveway it alerted me of my half x.. neighbor blasting down the street with no regard.

I'll report back in a few hundred miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice perspcective....so far it seems like your enjoying it

Thanks for posting your thoughts and congratulations on the new car! FYI, the hood of the Explorer is aluminum (for the sake of saving weight of course) so the flex isn't too surprising.

As for the steering, between driving my Legacy (has a nice firm feel to the steering) and the Gray Ghost, I know exactly what you are saying. The first few turns are like Mr. Toads Wild Ride until I re-adjust my muscle memory :D

Of course, it is customary on this forum to post some pictures of the new ride... :)

Good to hear that I am not the only one needing to adjust to the steering.

After seeing all your excellent photos, I'm too intimidated to post my brownie box camera shots! Larry

it took a bit of getting used to for me as well. coming from a 98 tahoe 4wd, to a 2006 expedition 4wd, to this (which i dont drive everyday, as it is my wifes!) i freaking love the feeling of the steering now. like butter!!!

Good to hear that I am not the only one needing to adjust to the steering.

After seeing all your excellent photos, I'm too intimidated to post my brownie box camera shots! Larry

Brownie box camera, that's awesome! lol

Nice comparison. As the 04 Cayenne was the Beta, it is pretty fair to compare to the early Ex too. As a company car through work I have had an '09 Cayenne V6 and '12 Cayenne S (which will be turned-in within the next 2 weeks for a '13 S). There are several features on the Ex Sport that I really like, which the Cayenne doesn't have.

That said, I like the Bi-Xenon steering headlights on the Cayenne. While the brakes are quite good on the Ex, I firmly believe the Cayenne brakes are better--6 piston up front and 4 rear, the brake pedal is very firm and the truck stops quick. Another up for the Cayenne is the exhaust note--the V8 has a nicer growl to it.

Given the price differential of the 2 cars (roughly $35k), the Ex comes out far ahead. Removing the cost differential, it is still a very close race. I have been impressed with the power of the Ex too--feels pretty close to the Cayenne, even though it is giving up 40 hp (as advertised anyway).

I too miss the Bi Xenon headlights and v8 growl. On the other hand, the run-up of the bi-turbos is music.

Interesting that we both took the same path to the EX.

langla4

I think I know what dealership you are talking about when you say they are family owned, and given the fact you live in Fullerton, anyway, I just recently switched to this dealership after having nightmares with another local dealership in BP. I have to say, so far its a night and day difference. In fact my 2011 EX is there right now having the new nav card and software installed. IF i buy Ford again, I'll definatley give these guys a shot at my business first. I just hope they honor X-plan :)

Congrats on the new ride.

Awesome review, I've been too lazy to write one up myself. Now that I'm pushing 1300 miles I guess I should follow suit.

The transition for steering will take some time, it's not only the electric steering aspect, but also the fact that the Explorer is FWD biased. Even though they adjusted the AWD to move of of the torque/power to the rear wheels on the Sport if you look at the instant 4WD screen you will see that most of the torque is still going to the front. This makes small turns (like quick lane changes) under acceleration really interesting if you haven't driven a high powered FWD before.

I'm coming from a 2011 v6 explorer, and even I am struggling with the adjustment in steering for quick maneuvers.. it's a lot of power pulling you in the direction you turn, instead of pushing.

What packages/options did you get, I'm interested in your take on the luxuries of the Explorer vs. the Porsche (heated/cooled seats, ambient lighting, my ford touch, etc). The Ford was by far the best price-for-options package we could fine.

What packages/options did you get, I'm interested in your take on the luxuries of the Explorer vs. the Porsche (heated/cooled seats, ambient lighting, my ford touch, etc). The Ford was by far the best price-for-options package we could fine.

Personally, I have the 402A package, tow, and pano roof in my Ex.

Comparing to my Cayenne which has:
Convenience Pkg (dynamic lighting bi-Xenons, nav...)
Bose Pkg (incl sat radio)
Pano Roof
Front/Rear parking sensors w/rear camera
14-way pwr Heated/Cooled front seats
20" Wheels

In comparing the 2 cars, IMO:
Ford +
Navi is more modern, allowing the voice controls
3rd row in the Ford, more space (bigger car)
Sunshade for the roof blocks all light, Porsche is a fairly dense mesh that allows some light through (not good with direct overhead sun and infant in back seat)
Ambient lighting is a neat feature
Remote will close the tailgate (not so on the Porsche, only open)
Cooled seats are a little better in that you don't hear the fan as much as in the Porsche
$$ much lower

Porsche +
Dynamic headlights better (swivel with the steering wheel)
Seats offer more lateral support, drives more like a sports car
Rear Camera has the dynamic lines like the Ex has with park assist (I don't have park assist in the Ex)
Pano Rood doesn't have the middle cross bar that the Ex has
Front parking sensors are part of the package
Interior LED lights
Instrument cluster centers on the tachometer
8-speed transmission gives better fuel economy, despite bigger, more powerful engine--has sport mode for quicker throttle response/tighter shifting/holding gear longer
Auto start/stop--shuts off engine at stop light (takes some getting used to though)
Oil change roughly once/year or 12k miles
Rear drive bias, so no torque steer

All in, I am very happy with our purchase of the Ex. Still have the Cayenne for a little while longer (until I change jobs anyway), so it isn't like I will miss it anytime soon.

CNSheets:
I did want to appear to be recommending a dealership, that's why I left out their name. Initials are VF on Tustin.

Personally, I have the 402A package, tow, and pano roof in my Ex.

Comparing to my Cayenne which has:
. . .

All in, I am very happy with our purchase of the Ex. Still have the Cayenne for a little while longer (until I change jobs anyway), so it isn't like I will miss it anytime soon.

This is a great comparison, thanks. All of my previous vehicles I have always ordered base models, and then spent thousands in the aftermarket world for luxuries (wheels, grills, sills, stereo/infotainment, navigation). This is really the first vehicle where I ordered it fully stocked (partly because MFT isn't optional, and not replaceable anyway, and partly because all of the aesthetic mods are similar to what I would have chosen anyway).

I wondered how it compared to other more expensive luxury/sport brands under actual use (not just in a show room)

This is a great comparison, thanks. All of my previous vehicles I have always ordered base models, and then spent thousands in the aftermarket world for luxuries (wheels, grills, sills, stereo/infotainment, navigation). This is really the first vehicle where I ordered it fully stocked (partly because MFT isn't optional, and not replaceable anyway, and partly because all of the aesthetic mods are similar to what I would have chosen anyway).

I wondered how it compared to other more expensive luxury/sport brands under actual use (not just in a show room)

Another thing I have found is that I am really liking the looks of the Ex. The Cayenne is silver, and compared to the tri plat white Ex, almost looks dated. Not sure if it is the color, styling, or fact that the Ex is new. Previously we had a 2003 Mountianeer that we just got rid of (replaced with the Ex), and the new car is worlds ahead of the old.

Back