• Register Today It's free!

Inner Tie Rod HELP!

AMMO_HOOAH

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT
Ok, so my drivers side inner tie rod is bad, and I can't seem to find anyone that has done the repair themselves. The book sais I have to remove the entire rack to do this, and that seems like a HUGE PITA! Please if any of you have done this give me some pointers on what I'm actually looking at getting myself into. Also if this is way too much of a pain can I leave it until it really needs to be done then do both sides? Thanks for the responses.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Auto Zone has a loan a tool to remove the inner tie rod with the rack in place. And yes, removing the rack is a PITA.

Sweet. What the heck is it called. And do I have to pull the whole spindle off again (I did all four ball joints today), or can I work around it all?

Sweet. What the heck is it called. And do I have to pull the whole spindle off again (I did all four ball joints today), or can I work around it all?

Id think you could remove the wheel, knock the outer end loose, turn the wheel fully to that side. When I put my rack on, I removed an inner tie rod to put it in. I think I put the inner on with a pipe wrench. The boots are the real pain, but are important because they keep stuff out of the rack.

EDIT- as for the name of the tool, I don't remember but it comes up in the computer when they look up your truck

You do not have to remove the R&P. Look for my posts in these threads:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123351
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94010

I don't know why you can't search for anything using the word "inner" :dunno: but there are at least a few more threads to find if you could.

Now that's some solid linkage! Ya I tried the whole inner thing, but I couldn't read all the SAS threads looking for the info :confused: thanks again, I'll be heading to the shop tomorrow to swap this sucker out.

You guys have definatly cleared this up I appreciate it. Now if only we could get the search to INCLUDE inner I never would of had to ask :D

Oh BTW you guys think I should replace both inners since I'm at it or just leave the stock pass side.

Oh BTW you guys think I should replace both inners since I'm at it or just leave the stock pass side.
I would go ahead and replace them all, unless you're sure the remaining ones will be good for quite a while longer, or you have a lifetime alignment agreement.

It has a C peice that goes on the ball of the inner socket of the tie rod and you put the sleeve over the tie rod and it has a 1/2" drive opening. Only use hand tools on it or you'll mess up the rack.

Good to know, hopefully Autozone will have one I can "rent". If it's that easy I might as well replace both at the same time.

Good to know, hopefully Autozone will have one I can "rent". If it's that easy I might as well replace both at the same time.

Sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

And that kit is what AZ has.

Well AZ didn't have the right tool, but when I got the boot off the place where you put a wrench was COMPLETLY accesable with a normal wrench. Here's a photo of the old tie rods. The one on the right was the bad one. It's not a geat pic, but notice the over abundance of "contamination" (sugar sand in the grease)
Photo_102506_001.jpg

Took the truck in to get it aligned today, and get this even after all new ball joints (uppers included control arm) and both new inner tie rod ends the only thing that needed adjusted was the toe! I had to laugh at that cause what are the chances of the camber being withing spec after new control arms. Anyway still have a bad wabble at 65+, so back to the shop to be realigned and tires reballanced to see if that solves the prob. I hope it's not a bad front bearing I just replaced both in the last year :(

Everything seems good now, but one thing that I'm really pissed about is the lower ball joints. I can't keep the stupid boot on them! They just slip right off on the inside edge like a 1/8". With as much as I'm off road I don't like it at all, but what else can I do? Just grease the heck out of them everytime I go out I guess :fire:

I use hose clamps on my boots.

What did you do with your old tie rods? I need spares!!!

Everything seems good now, but one thing that I'm really pissed about is the lower ball joints. I can't keep the stupid boot on them! They just slip right off on the inside edge like a 1/8". With as much as I'm off road I don't like it at all, but what else can I do? Just grease the heck out of them everytime I go out I guess :fire:

I have the same problem with mine, they wont stay for anything. I just use plenty of grease.

I use hose clamps on my boots.

What did you do with your old tie rods? I need spares!!!

He was talking about lower ball joints- you got a clamp on yours?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oops thought he was talking about inner tie rod boots.

My lowers have like a spring around the top to heep them sealed.

Back