Inquiry: Cooling System Properly Flushed/Filled/Bled? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Inquiry: Cooling System Properly Flushed/Filled/Bled?

Mr Dubya

Elite Wannabe Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Explorer Ltd. 4.6L V8
All,

Over the summer I emptied and cleaned my reservoir, drained the radiator via petcock valve and all lower hoses, flushed and back-flushed the system through all hoses (thermostat removed of course), and re-filled the entire system with softened-water. I left the thermostat out, and let the car run for short bursts of time over the summer to cycle everything still in the block and jackets.

I didn't drive it at all (still being repaired from the accident).

Today, I drained it all again via petcock valve and lower hoses, and followed the Ford Workshop Manual procedure for filling and bleeding:

-Reinstalled thermostat (good condition)
-Filled reservoir with proper mix, and thus radiator
-Brought engine up to operating temperature (perfect range)
-Set blower to high and hot (nice and hot)
-Checked upper hose to be hot (it was)
-Squeezed and pinched upper hose for air (didn't notice reservoir to bubble?)
-Topped off reservoir as needed (didn't drop much)

Everything checks out text-book-wise. I've got a little voice in the back of my head that doesn't inspire confidence that all the air is bled from the system - perhaps because I feel this was all too easy?

Any thoughts on whether I've missed a tidbit of something? Or if I'm being **** and just need a good kick in the rear to be on my way? LOL

I've read every resource on the forums about filling and bleeding and for some reason I'm not satisfied that it's really that simple.

Thanks gents!

-Dubya

whoops just posted same topic above here. I assume you leave the cap of resevoir also buddy. We'll see if anyone else chimes in.

whoops just posted same topic above here. I assume you leave the cap of resevoir also buddy. We'll see if anyone else chimes in.

Per manual's instructions, I left the cap secured after initially filling when bringing engine up to temp.

Back