Installed aftermarket hitch | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed aftermarket hitch

For those who wondered.... I hauled my 1967 Mercury Cougar with my 2017 Ford Explorer and had not in single issue, intact it was really hard to tell the car was even attached!!! Did some detailed inspection on the trans and fluid and nothing at all. Weird how there was a couple people who said it’s going to destroy it or break something... didn’t even miss a beat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK.

So your good today Marine.

Perhaps a year from now when your transmission stops shifting?

Perhaps not?

OK.

So your good today Marine.

Perhaps a year from now when your transmission stops shifting?

Perhaps not?
If I was hauling more then that one time then sure I would agree, but that’s not the case. A year from now transmission stops shifting would be the result of more than that one instance. And I don’t beat the **** out of my stuff, build many of transmissions in my day too so I’m not concerned. To be honest my biggest concern was if the location that the hitch was mounted to on the frame would be strong enough to handle that haul, which again (without an NDI) looks pretty dam good, didn’t see any issues.

But naysayers will be naysayers so I will be sure to continue to update this thread as often as I can with mike markers to show that it’s lasting just as long as the manufacturers and engineers intended. (Which in today’s day would be a couple years so you have to go back and buy a newer model )

Tune in next week when we will be towing TWO Cougars with a Prius. Because engineers are stupid, that's why.

@ColdBloodedUSMC ,

Glad it worked out with no issues. I, personally, would not make it a sideline job, if you understand what I'm saying.

@VCFP153 ,

I really don't think that comment was really necessary.....

If I was hauling more then that one time then sure I would agree, but that’s not the case. A year from now transmission stops shifting would be the result of more than that one instance. And I don’t beat the **** out of my stuff, build many of transmissions in my day too so I’m not concerned. To be honest my biggest concern was if the location that the hitch was mounted to on the frame would be strong enough to handle that haul, which again (without an NDI) looks pretty dam good, didn’t see any issues.

But naysayers will be naysayers so I will be sure to continue to update this thread as often as I can with mike markers to show that it’s lasting just as long as the manufacturers and engineers intended. (Which in today’s day would be a couple years so you have to go back and buy a newer model )

Yes! Glad you made it safely.

Please be careful.

Thank you again for your service to our Country.

I just personally don't like to tow with the independent rear, seems like the trailer sways more. I do use my EX to tow short distances at less than highway speeds and it is ok but I can feel that it is light. The other issue is that the mirrors are so small, can't see around anything behind me.

For those who wondered.... I hauled my 1967 Mercury Cougar with my 2017 Ford Explorer and had not in single issue, intact it was really hard to tell the car was even attached!!!
I am not doubting you as we all perceive things differently, but I can tell when I have an empty trailer connected (5x10 or 7x14 typically) and I can certainly tell when I am hauling 2-3k of scrap metal in the 7x14. I have to imagine the cougar weighs more than 2-3k.

I just personally don't like to tow with the independent rear, seems like the trailer sways more. I do use my EX to tow short distances at less than highway speeds and it is ok but I can feel that it is light. The other issue is that the mirrors are so small, can't see around anything behind me.
rear suspension has nothing to do with a trailer swaying. Most common cause is wrong tongue weight (not enough).

rear suspension has nothing to do with a trailer swaying. Most common cause is wrong tongue weight (not enough).
Yes, rear suspension is a factor in trailer swaying, I have experienced it first hand many times with the same trailer and same load, independent rear does not have the control of a solid axle.

Yes, rear suspension is a factor in trailer swaying, I have experienced it first hand many times with the same trailer and same load, independent rear does not have the control of a solid axle.
No it doesn't. If everything is setup properly there will be no difference. What you are probably experiencing is a softly sprung IRS (i.e. undersprung) and an improperly setup trailer.

Thanks for researching this. I did the same research in November and bought a base model 2018 Explorer to tow with. The misinformation on here just refuses to die.

-Andy

If I am being completely honest.....I would do it lol

I would be traveling at night to avoid any stop and go situations but I would do it.

If you google 1967 cougar specs, you will find the lightest one shipped from the factory was right around 3100 pounds. I know ALOT about early mustangs and cougars and can say with authority that it would be just about impossible to remove over 1000 pounds and have the car still be driveable. The responders that said you shouldn’t have pulled it with your exploder were right- even with the “towing package” I limit my towing to nothing more than a light utility trailer. These “suv’s“ were made to transport mom and the kids around town and dad to the home improvement store on the weekend- any more and you are pushing it.

Thanks for researching this. I did the same research in November and bought a base model 2018 Explorer to tow with. The misinformation on here just refuses to die.

-Andy
He proved nothing. All he did was say someone else told him it was the same. His information wasn’t entirely correct as he said there was a single radiator for the year, when Ford actually lists 4. They have a limited tow rating for a reason. It’d be better for them to have a higher rating, as it’d put them in better match to the competition.

If you google 1967 cougar specs, you will find the lightest one shipped from the factory was right around 3100 pounds. I know ALOT about early mustangs and cougars and can say with authority that it would be just about impossible to remove over 1000 pounds and have the car still be driveable. The responders that said you shouldn’t have pulled it with your exploder were right- even with the “towing package” I limit my towing to nothing more than a light utility trailer. These “suv’s“ were made to transport mom and the kids around town and dad to the home improvement store on the weekend- any more and you are pushing it.

Obviously you missed part where I said it’s not a stock car it’s a drag car.... let’s please start paying attention people. I love all the “google said this” professionals. You are all Jokes. I’m not going to waste my time explaining each part that was removed and it’s weight difference but here is the easy way. The interior-gone, ever single body part from the doors forward-fiberglass ever single mechanical part (which stock is all cast like the engine and heads and all that crap)-pulled and replaced with an aluminum engine.
AGAIN!!!—————my Cougar is a drag car and not a stock car. I have built this thing since I was old enough to hold a tool in my hand.... it’s not 3k lbs. and I did pull it with my explorer without any issues... in fact I got better gas mileage.

He proved nothing. All he did was say someone else told him it was the same. His information wasn’t entirely correct as he said there was a single radiator for the year, when Ford actually lists 4. They have a limited tow rating for a reason. It’d be better for them to have a higher rating, as it’d put them in better match to the competition.

A member posted a few years back that there was a thicker rad on those Explorers with the factory tow package.

Peter

So every google source lists your car as over 1,000 pounds heavier than you claim?

He's in South Carolina, everybody knows each pound actually weighs less the closer you get to the equator, because of Coriolis Forces. So, you know...his car is only 2,000 effective pounds.

Or something like that.:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is being used as a drag car, so that amount of weight loss isn't unbelievable.

The issue here is the specs of OPs trim level do not match the tow package specs - which obviously means his vehicle isn't rated correctly and what he's doing is rather dangerous. His insurance company would probably go to town on him for doing so.

OP - the factory tow package isn't just the oil cooler, trans cooler, bigger brakes, and bumper covered hitch. The transmission is also completely different. Yours should be a 6F50 trans, whereas w/tow pkg it should be a 6F55.

I've attached a picture of my VCL as well as the breakdown for the Transmission code designation in the Owners Manual (pg 338, under "Capacities and Specifications").

20190216_231436.jpg

20190216_230712.jpg

Back