Installed aftermarket hitch | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed aftermarket hitch

I had the hardest time telling if I had the towing package until I joined this site. I bought a gently used 2015 Limited. It had no hitch, but has the heavy duty rotors/brakes and 200amp alternator. It has the 6f50 transmission. I put a ford hitch on it with the cutout for the bumper cover. What a PITA by the way. I consider it having the 2000lb towing capacity. With that said, I have towed about 3000lb a couple times in manual mode. Although I wouldn't make a habit of it, I'm confident the tranny handled it fine. Not to compare aircraft to cars, I was a crewchief/mechanic on hueys and cobra helicopters in the corps. Our engines and transmissions had certain torque limits on them from the manufacturer Bell. Many times our Bell tech reps would tell us that they were fine at handling much more torque but they are required to reduce their limits/capacities on paper to cover their ass. Of course if we did over torque them we had to perform inspections. Although I plan on sticking to the 2000lb, is the engine oil cooler mounted at the radiator? I see that my tranny cooler is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Radiator options appear to vary by year.

I had the hardest time telling if I had the towing package until I joined this site. I bought a gently used 2015 Limited. It had no hitch, but has the heavy duty rotors/brakes and 200amp alternator. It has the 6f50 transmission. I put a ford hitch on it with the cutout for the bumper cover. What a PITA by the way. I consider it having the 2000lb towing capacity. With that said, I have towed about 3000lb a couple times in manual mode. Although I wouldn't make a habit of it, I'm confident the tranny handled it fine. Not to compare aircraft to cars, I was a crewchief/mechanic on hueys and cobra helicopters in the corps. Our engines and transmissions had certain torque limits on them from the manufacturer Bell. Many times our Bell tech reps would tell us that they were fine at handling much more torque but they are required to reduce their limits/capacities on paper to cover their ass. Of course if we did over torque them we had to perform inspections. Although I plan on sticking to the 2000lb, is the engine oil cooler mounted at the radiator? I see that my tranny cooler is.

The problem with comparing an aircraft to a car (as OP also has done) is that the fail safes are either higher in quality and/or more numerous. Aircraft have a much smaller margin for absolute failure than a car would have. The difference, for example, in a plane where the max load weight is 10k lbs and an extra 10% is put in is a bit different than where a the max tow weight is 2k lbs and an extra 50% is put on.

That's exactly why I said, "Not to compare aircraft to cars"!!!!

So, where’s the updates?

So, where’s the updates?

If I was hauling more then that one time then sure I would agree, but that’s not the case. A year from now transmission stops shifting would be the result of more than that one instance. And I don’t beat the **** out of my stuff, build many of transmissions in my day too so I’m not concerned. To be honest my biggest concern was if the location that the hitch was mounted to on the frame would be strong enough to handle that haul, which again (without an NDI) looks pretty dam good, didn’t see any issues.

But naysayers will be naysayers so I will be sure to continue to update this thread as often as I can with mike markers to show that it’s lasting just as long as the manufacturers and engineers intended. (Which in today’s day would be a couple years so you have to go back and buy a newer model )
Still no updates from your one-of-a-kind specially equipped transmission vehicle. How come? That cougar should weigh about 200 pounds by now, and that Explorer should have another 100k on it.

to me its not if I can or cant tow something to me if the manufactures say 2000 pounds max then I wont tow more then that, WHY its called liability if you get in to an accident towing more then your vehicle is rated for guess whose insurance isn't paying for that family of 4 you just killed not to mention jail or prison time they will look at what your towing and compare it to what your vehicle is actually rated for just my 2 cents

I installed the GB5Z-19D520-C hitch on my base 2017 explorer with the V6. I know the trans cooler and oil cooler and bigger brakes are key but aside from that, can I haul my 1967 Mercury Cougar on a one way trip from Lancaster, PA to Gloucester, VA on a car hauler from U-Haul without killing myself?
I pulled a 6x12 uhaul trailer fully loaded from CA to SD with no issues. Make sure to change settings for mileage calculation and other trailering options. Keep speed at 65. I averaged around 17 MPG.

I pulled a 6x12 uhaul trailer fully loaded from CA to SD with no issues. Make sure to change settings for mileage calculation and other trailering options. Keep speed at 65. I averaged around 17 MPG.
He pulled a car trailer and magically got MORE mpg than normal. Seems like the truth……

Was that with the factory-installed tow package or an aftermarket one like the member you quoted had? There's a big difference in legal towing weight. 5000 vs 2000 lbs. The member you quoted was last seen here in Feb. 2019.

Peter

Back