Installed lift, steering wheel 45 deg. off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed lift, steering wheel 45 deg. off

Byrd91

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Penobscot, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
This week I went from f-150 spacers to a James Duff lift and now my steering wheel is not straight at all. About 45 degrees to the right when driving straight down the road. I can't see where anything is bent (draglink/tierods) and there is no more play then before in the wheel. Is it possible that the pitman arm or steering gear has shifted but remained tight. I just don't see how 1 more inch could change it that much. The allignment guy was pretty sure something was fubared and that it wasn't just because of the lift. Its going in the shop first thing this week, just thought I'd check to see if you guys had any ideas first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wheel being off is common after installing a lift. A good alignment shop will be able to get it back straight:D

Originally posted by taxxman2k
The wheel being off is common after installing a lift. A good alignment shop will be able to get it back straight:D

Dave is correct. Anytime you do anything that alters the position of the suspension components you will affect the alignment. and just like he said "a good alignment shop will be able to get it back."

Yeah I was planning on an allignment, I just didn't think going from 1.5" to 2.5" would cause that much of a difference. Guess we'll see.

Your old lift was just spacers. If I am correct the new lift would include new radious arms, actually moving the suspension components not just pushing the axles away from the frame. This would cause your steering components to end up in a different possition than they where aligned to before. Hope this makes sense.:confused:

The easiest way to correct your problem is to
1) Remove the pitman arm from the steering box leaving all the lower components on the pitman arm.
2) Crank your steering wheel lock to lock and find the middle with your steering wheel in the straight up position.
3) Point your tires as straight as you can, assuming they both point the same direction.
4) Reattach the pitman arm to the steering box.
Without an alinement, this method will get you down the road pretty straight.

Back