Installed Magnaflow Duals on my 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installed Magnaflow Duals on my 5.0

jssong

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
I went to the shop this morning. American Mufflers on old country road in westbury NY. I showed the pictures from chris ( 98fordx24 ) and got the piping done very similar to his. Ill have pictures up as soon as i get hold of a digicam from a friend.

I got the magnaflow 2.5 dual in, 2.5 dual out, stainless steel muffler, wtih magnaflow dual 2.5 in, 3.5 out stainless steel 18 inch long tips.

Both pipes are 2.5 from the cats back. The right side piping is just like stock. The left side piping goes over the diffy, between the shock and spare, and under the frame above the springs. the right side tip had to be cut a tad because it was 18 inches long and stuck out too much.

THere is a drone between 1800-2300. but i expected this. on the highway, going 60, my rpms are about 1950. the drone is loud enough where you can hear it when i dont have my system up. But once i turn up the music, you cant really hear it.

I think i lost a bit of low end torque, because the tach revs up quicker, but im not sure if this is the right assumption. I used to be able to pull off the line a bit quicker because of the lower rpm power, but then again, i havent really driven the truck too much, and havent broken in the muffler yet. Im going on a 1000 mile trip soon, go the poconos on sat, and buffalo on sun, and will be back in a few days. Ill see if i notice any gas mpg improvements.

I also noticed that my apten chip shifting firmess has somewhat decreased. i used to feel it a bit more, but i feel like its slipping more now. maybe its just me, but ill have to drive it a bit more to find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by jssong i havent really driven the truck too much, and havent broken in the muffler yet.

I didn't know Muffler have to be broken in. :rolleyes: Learn something new everyday...

Hey Jssong, how far away is the shop from Far Rockaway? Maybe I could use the same shop you used. How much did they charge for the whole set up?

190 for the work, i brought the muffler and tips. from far rockaway..about 30-40 mins i guess. take cross island to meadowbrook, to old country road and just go straight up for about 3 or so miles.. should see it on your left.

So.. are you not recommending this setup as of now?

im fine with the setup. i really dont mind the drone. i sorta expected it going into it. most people would have gone with the flow 50 setup, but i wanted the magnaflow after some peopels recommendation. so far i like it, but if i had the option of driving different setups, id try a 2.25 inch piping, to see if i could keep my torque. i dont tow, so its not a big deal, but i also dont have a heavy foot.. usually drive wtihout going over 2.5k if not 2k.

so far so good. will get pics up as soon as i can, and will have further updates on sound and drone. i turn heads though, even customers at the shop were lovin the setup as it was being put in. i was getting compliments before it was completed, and the shop guys loved it after they did it. they never did a x 5.0 before with a mag and dual pipes.

Hey jssong I had a magnaflow on my ranger. A galvanized steel one that rusted. They replaced it three times in 9 years for free. Can't beat their warrenty.
Cant wait to see pics.:D

well im at school in buffalo, ny. known for snow and salt. so i bought stainless steel tips and the muffler is stainless as well. the only thing that should rust are the pipes, but i have a one year warranty so hopefully they'll be ok.

Hey Jeong, if you haven't already done so, make sure you reset your computer so it can take the changes into account. It mught not make a huge difference, but hte air will be flowing a bit faster through the engine, so it wouldn't hurt.

That's kind of odd. I had the dual in/dual out magnaflow installed on mine and I definitely felt better throttle response. I'm only running dual 2" pipes out however so I don't know what factor that plays. But I was also thinking of going 2.25"! On another note... I felt a loss in low end torque when I put in the MAC intake.

i gained a very noticable diff with the mac intake. i take it out every once in awhile to bring it to the dealerships, just to avoid any hassle. i can def feel the diff.

2 inch piping in my opiniong and im sure alot others is too small. the stock piping before the muffler is 2.25, so i would have kept it 2.25 , but i chose to go 2.5 because most others have done so.

i just might have to reset my comp today.. darn.. gonna lose all my radio presets.. lol.. itz ok.. im going away tom, but my friend should have his digicam. ill try to post pics early next week people.

jssong - I got a Magnaflow last weekend but kept it dual-in/single-out with 2.25" pipes. I also have noticed a decrease in shift firmness (I have an Apten also), decrease in low-end torque, and also a decrease in mileage if you can believe that.

No, I didn't get on it to hear how good it sounds (at least not too much), and it does sound good! What I was really after, though, was the performance aspect of the better flowing exhaust.

Let me know how yours does with the reset computer - I'm lazy and don't want to have to reset my radio either! Really I just didn't think it would make a difference but I'll probably try it today.

You guys did reset your computers to purge the tables that store previous sensor habits right? If not, part of your car's feeling sluggish may be your computer is predicting based on old information the flow characteristics of you car, and it will be wrong, thus run poorer.
Anywho... just a thought.
-----Nate

although resetting the computer is usually good, its really not nessasary. These computer and the one on my modified 306 Mustang (the a9l) will after driving relearn the new mods...

I haven't done any mods yet to my 2000xlt 5.0 but I just finished a 11-1cr 306 for my LX Mustang and was working out air flow issues. so its a horse a piece in disconnecting the battery for 10-15 minutes or going and driving..worked both ways for me.

not to hijack the thread, but is or does anyone make some headers that fit the Explorer and the "P" heads?

Originally posted by C Pony Go
not to hijack the thread, but is or does anyone make some headers that fit the Explorer and the "P" heads?

Not any more. FMS use to make them for the GT40 heads, and you could adapt the EGR by adding a bung on those headers for the external egr P heads. But its next to impossible to find anyone who still has a set for sale.

I am running them on my P heads right now. So I know they will work. There are a few threads going on with people trying to find people to make Explorer headers since there is a huge interest in them. But who knows if it'll ever ignite. :(

well im in buffalo new york after a crappy weekend. i reset the computer on fril and noticed my viper 790xv lcd pager alarm not working properly. it would take 2 or 3 pushes of the unlock and lock button for the car to arm. i didnt really care much. i got to the poconos on sat, and after i parked it, my car wouldnt unlock. after i used the keypad to unlock, my alarm started goin off, so i tried to manually disarm the system. it wouldnt let me. so after letting my alarm go off for 10 mins, i finally pressed the unlock button enough times to get it to unlock and fo rme to start the truck up. after i got to the house we were staying at, it woudlnt let me unlock, and the alarm kept going off. i had to take off the negative of the battery the whoel night. after playing wtih it for awhile, i got the manula disabling to work, but still no luck with the remote. good thing i got my alarm installed here in buffalo, gonna go to the shop tom

anyways, back to the exhaust. i did notice quite a bit of loss of torque. throttle response is a bit sluggish. gas mileage has gone up. no specific numbers, but i was roughly getting 20-22 mpg on the highway which is pretty good compared to my 17 or so normally. ill put the apten chip on gas mpg setting on the way home in a few days, and see if i see any difference.

but the truck does feel alot slower off the line. sounds great, just slow.

I disconnected the battery for about 10 min. then took it for a test drive. Things seem to be back the way they were before the muffler install, but I don't know how much is psychological and how much is real. Anyway, I'll see how it goes this week. Fortunately I don't have the car alarm problem to contend with - sounds like quite the headache.

i got my alarm fixed today.. just needed a new remote. the old one just crapped out i guess. as for the exhasut, you going wtih a single, and me going witha dual with 2.5 pipes is a bit of difference. i might consider getting it redone with 2.25 pipes now.. but thats if i have more money to throw away

I have the stainless magnaflow dual in dual out but I ran 2.25 pipes, I found it helped out in the pickup department, nothing drastic but it definately was quicker. I'm getting my apten chip delivered this week, I am curious how the shifting will feel.

I have a million dollar idea. What if somebody made some sort of exhaust insert that with little pressure widened out some blades of steel, but when more pressure was applied, the blades would collapse.
Let me draw is ascii style.
Code:
_\_   Little Pressure
 /
[u][b]_[/b][/u]__  Lots of pressure
¯
That way, with little exhaust pressure (low rpms) there would be more backpressure, and with more exhause pressure (higher rpms, more flow) the flaps open and there is little to no added resistance. That way you keep your low end torque and gain high end rpms.
Im not sure how exactly to make it work, but it would be nifty!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Borla makes a device like this. They are called "Turbolater Exhaust Tips." They are Borla tips that have a spring loaded flap in them. Not sure if they work, just remember seeing them in the Summit catalogue.

Back