Installed rear EE swaybar today.

ohfugit

Reaction score
City, State
chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer
Installed my rear EE sway bar today..
really made a big difference. weird how the front seems to dip less now too.
going to try and start on the front one this weekend if the weather holds out

"D"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has lost some stiffness(?) somehow. :rolleyes: I suspect the endlinks have come loose. Can't wait for spring/summer to get here so I could do some maintenance done. It'll be in the 20's come Sunday over here. :(

I have had mine for several months and it remains one of the best purchases I have made for the Ex.

How long did the intall take? Do you need anything special other than a jack, jack stands and basic hand tools?

Nah, just sockets, some pb buster or equivalent. I didn't have to jack up the truck, depends on how low you are though.

My best mod. too. No jacking required for mine also.

ohfugit, you'll feel an even bigger difference with the front bar...that thing's a beast. I installed the front one first, the rear one helped but mostly just complimented it. Such a great mod, any explorer owner that doesnt have EE swaybars needs to consider these as a primary upgrade!! (even offroaders when your not on the trail lol)

Originally posted by Skeets'91EB
ohfugit, you'll feel an even bigger difference with the front bar...that thing's a beast. I installed the front one first, the rear one helped but mostly just complimented it. Such a great mod, any explorer owner that doesnt have EE swaybars needs to consider these as a primary upgrade!! (even offroaders when your not on the trail lol)

Thats pretty funny, installed the front last and thought the same thing except in reverse.
with both on there it works really well.. no more dipping

I had mine for about a month before I put them on as well.

I did mine on the ground in shadetree mechanic fashion(sheet of cardboard on top of the snow/electric heater)
18mm socket and a 13 mm socket. and some penetratiing oil.... I did need to use some vice grips to hold the outer part of the rear link from spinning
its a little close to the spare. so I couldn't use deep well sockets but it was fine.

I did use a breaker bar to get them all started
also I broke one of those 4 threaded clips on the rear end housing so I had to dremel it off... .
I was scared that I would snap more of them on reinstallation so I went to the hardware store and picked up 4 new ones

The 4 pieces of steel you get in the kit go on top of the u brackets (I called and they filled me in, as it wasn't mentioned in the instructions)

Front was even easier
This is really a rewarding modification for me as I went from driving a pretty good handling car to this truck and it felt really floundery (is that a word ?)
now the fenders stay level when you make turns.

How long did it take me.
Keep in mind I'm not a real mechanic or anything but this was my timetable
it was cold and late in the day so I didn't do them at once

3 (after work)45 minute sessions over 3 days to do both
45 minutes to get the old rear out figuring out which tools (no genius work here just 6, 10 year old bolts) close to the same the next day putting the new one in (I dremeled the broken clip this day)
45 minutes total on the front

It was kind of interesting driving with no rear sway bar
I was clowning around where I had room and it was pretty pogo.ey ... I still laugh every time I look at the stock rear bar.. its about the diameter of my pinkey.

I was going to replace my shocks but now it rides really nice
Go for it .. its really a nice mod.
I'd do it again in a heartbeat

"D"

Originally posted by Skeets'91EB
ohfugit, you'll feel an even bigger difference with the front bar...
I agree with this point. I installed the fronts first also and the difference between the stock and the new front is more dramatic than having the front installed and then having the rear.

Originally posted by etc
Nah, just sockets, some pb buster or equivalent. I didn't have to jack up the truck, depends on how low you are though.

What is "pb buster"??

Also, you say I can change the rear bar w/o jacking the truck up. I thought that when I removed the sway bar, something might spring (or unspring) out of place which would make it very difficult to put on the new bar.

I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to suspension. I'm just guessing.

I didnt jack mine up when I did it...I did have to unbolt the bottom shock mounts tho

PB Buster is a rust penetrator. Just incase your bolts are really tought on there from the weather, just spray on wait ten/fiteen mintues then go at it.

I had to remove the bottom shock to to get to the bolts also. Nothing should spring up when you take the swaybar off. Only reason I woul see to jack it up is to have more room to work with.

maybe its a difference in years .
mine is a 93(I believe 91-94 are the same)
I was able to leave my shocks alone.

you won't have to jack the truck up unless you are really big and can't fit under there.

nothing should spring out and hit you unless of course you unbolt everything and the bar falls on your head :eek:

as far as which did a better job front or back.. I guess the consensus is front makes a bigger difference then the back....I did the back first so I couldn't tell you.

I replaced my right tie rod end today and am going to get it alligned Monday if the shop is open.
it pulls a little to the right..

Hopefully the Apten buy comes about soon and I'm done with mods for awhile.

Have fun
"D"

The front sway improvement makes the most sense!! Owing to the fact that in a few years it was the first to go when Ford wanted to improve the truck.

I did a leaf spring swap and 4 shock swap at the same time as my sway bars, so my Ex was up in the air.
It took less than three hours if I recall.
But I had all air tools and I work on cars for a living.

I guess you can do it with hand tools. Eat a good breakfast so you have plenty of energy. There may be some tight bolts.

I went to a friend's and used air tools...trust me, they're a big bonus!!!

When you say 'Air tools' what are you referring to?

I have a compressor at my disposal and if your are just talking about an air powered socket wrench (or whatever it's called) maybe I'll pick one up before I start.

Lee

If you have a compressor avalible that is a HUGE help.
I used an impact for just about all the fasteners.
If you can nab some swivel sockets you'll be golden.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Impact Wrench was the biggest help, but I also used an Air Socket Wrench

Back