Installing a lift kit, how much??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing a lift kit, how much???

Chew_12

Working
Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Im thinking about getting a body lift and a suspension lift. I doubt I could do the body lift, but maybe the suspension lift. If you took it to a shop how much would a body lift cost, and what about a suspension lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the body lift is alot easier.... ALOT ALOT than a suspension lift.... your lookin at over 3,000 to do it correctly if your truck is completly stock.

depends on what susp lift you're talking about. the 2" is very easy to do yourself with the right tools, a few friends and some beers. While you're at it, do the BL!

Yea a 4".

well the 4" uses the same brackets as the 5.5" but the 4" is more because you need to buy the lift springs as where the 5.5 you spring over

The body lift is easy with exception to bumper alignment, and drilling out the first two mounts, it is still easier than suspension lift. On the suspension the only difficult part is grinding rivets, still nothing that two guys couldn't do in a weekend. Depending on how much beer is involved:p

Thanks for the info, im going with the 6in

The 4 wheel shop here wanted $500 for the SOA and wanted $350 to install some spindles. Too much. I found another place that did it all for $600 including a tranny cooler installed.

How long would it take, i am planning on installing it myself becausei dont have the money. Are the instructions pretty detailed?

I did the skyjacker class two in about a day and a half, that's goofing around with hand tools. The only tough part was grinding the rivets, some ex's have more than others, on the skyjacker you will need to drill a few 1/2 inch holes, but this was done easy with a bit from auto zone, 6.00's for the bit. Get a four inch grinder from sears, they are under 40.00's, and will eat up those rivets quick. Instructions were good, the parts are obvious as to where they go. I haven't done the spring over, but the super lift should be bolt on, it is recommended to have it stitch welded to the axle afterwards to keep it from shifting any, some have not welded and have no complaints.
Good luck

Yea im thinking about getting the skyjacker, did u get the 4" or the 6"? I want the 6", but when i go to the site they dont have a 6" for the explorer, but other places i have seen it for the explorer

i dont think skyjacker makes the 6" for the x anymore you have to buy the 6" ranger front and SOA in the back due to them discontinuing the 6" X springs.

So the ranger with the 6" will work for the 93 X?

The part no# for an explorer six inch is..236exk-a this for class two, the standard 6 inch useing factory radius arms is 136exk, you will have to do the rear your self.

Yes ranger and mazda the same.

So in the rear what parts would i have to get?

Either spring perches, and weld them on, or Superlift has a rear kit that is bolt on. It would be the rear kit that comes with a Superlift 5.5 lift. It's higher than perches, but easier if you are not into welding.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow this getting to be a lot of work. That part number that you gave me the 236exk-a, i was looking at the skyjacker site, but i cant find that part #. Where is it at?
By the way thanks for your help.

Back