Lift Kits? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lift Kits?

fritts

Reaction score
Hey,
I have been reading the older posts going through how you should get a suspension lift over a body lift. I'm not looking for much lift maybe 2-3". I don't plan on doing major trail blazing but some offroad type riding, could I get away with just a body lift? But I saw the Duff 2.5" and the Sky Jacker 2" suspension lifts too. Does anyone know about the SkyJacker compared to the Duff? The Sky Jacker seems to be relatively cheap and the duff I suspect is quite a bit.

Thanks
Ryan Fritts

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've seen a few posts about the Skyjacker Kits and I don't remember seeing any positive ones.. The Duff kit comes with everything (except for brake lines).. The Duff kit cost just under $500 with new Radius Arm bushings... We then spend another $300 or so on rs9000 shocks and extended steel braided brake lines..

I know of two install articles.. One is on this site..
http://www.4x4central.com/dufflift.html

The other is my site..
http://mark.legendz.com/install/duff-install.html

Hey Ryan, a buddy of mine just got the Skyjacker 2" from http://www.offroadwarehouse.com for I think about $525 with shipping. Came with the coils, add-a-leaf kit, radius arm bushings, DOT stainless front brake lines, and the RS9000 shocks. They've got some special running on the shocks right now that is KILLER. Anyway, check it out, he got them from Mark there...

IMHO you should go with the body lift. Don't get a small suspension lift, its a waste of money considering most small ones cost about $500, while the Superlift 5.5" costs about $700.

Body lifts are inexpensive and they get the job done, you'll still want off road shocks to stiffen up the suspension a little.

Oh, and I do actually speak from experience, I have a 2" Body lift and 2.5" suspension lift. I got the suspension lift on a deal which is why I went with it, but even with that I still regretted it later, which is why I am going with the bigger 5.5" lift within the month.

Hope this helps.

Mat

It all depends on what you need it for. In our case a 5.5" lift was out of the question since my better half is only 5' 1" and there is no way she would allow 5.5" lift on HER truck.. The 2.5" lift is great for wheeling, but you do wish for more ground clearance once in a while but when we have to drive 25 miles each way to work.. and put well over 30k miles a year on the truck.. a mild lift works well for us. If this was a trail only truck.. or more trail than road then the 5.5" lift would be great... You can't really have everything.. but you can get most everything.. Make sure you know what you need to truck to do and pick your lift afterwards..

Good luck in your decison(sp?)

Back