Installing Gauges in the A-Pillar

B94Sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
I want to install a few gauges in the A-pillar on my '94, but I have some questions first, hopefully someone will be able to answer..

First, would more than one dual gauge pod fit on the pillar? Right now I want 4 gauges (this number will probably come down), which would take two pods. I'd just like to know that two pods can fit.

Second, how does the A-pillar come off? Right now I've taken a lot of interior panels off to run wires for other stuff I am working on, and I couldn't get the B-pillar to come off. I figured if you pull the two plastic fasterners, it would come out. But something is still holding it on, I just don't want to break it.

Third, how is the pod attached to the pillar once you have the gauges mounted? Screws, 3M tape?

Thanks for any help in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only 1 dual gauge pod will fit - sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news. And a single and dual will not fit, either. You could always mount some gauges below the ashtray (where mine used to be) - harder to see, but at least you will have them.

The moulding comes off by removing 3 screws and 1 push-in plug.

I mounted my pod with sticky velcro - Autometer gives you 2 small push-in plugs, and I've seen people use screws. The velcro is hidden, and allows for easy removal.

Scott,

Thanks for the info. I looked closer at the A-pillar on my way to work today and noticed that the contours change as you move up or down, so I kind of figured two wouldn't fit. Mounting gauges below the ashtray is an idea though, thanks. I'll probably just get two gauges and go with that.

I took out the one push-in plug, but I couldn't find the 3 screws you are referring to. Where are they?

For clarification - the A-pillar is the fixed part of the body between the windshield and the door.

That being said, on the older models, there are 3 screws and 1 push-plug holding the moulding to the body. Since you don't have the screws (highly visible - you can't miss them), I would guess that the trim piece is held on with hidden clips (like my Dad's '98)

To remove, pull out the push-plug, then gently pry the moulding away from the body. I wouldn't use any tools, as they may damage the plastic part. Try to apply even pressure, so as not to twist or tweak the part.

Speaking of gauges... has anyone mounted Digital gauges in thier X? Not nessicarly the Tach or Speedo but any at all. I was interested in putting a "current draw" gauge in to monitor the drain on the battery. I just wish there was a way I could rig a guage to tell me the current capacity of the battery but I am to understand that this is technically impossible or cost prohibitive (over $400.)

With the soon addition of some lights (Hella Black Magics) and my current stereo system gauges like this would be excellent to have.

Back