• Register Today It's free!

Installing Pioneer CD Deck

VinnieZ

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey I actually just bought an after market radio and a dash kit to install it myself. Do I need to buy any other wires for it?

This is the radio I bought:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117215

And the dash kit is just a Metra kit. Do I need to purchase anything more? I thought that the wires that plug into the back of the stock radio would work with the aftermarket radio. Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The wire harness to connect it to the stock plug, look for it on ebay, crutchfield etc...

Yeah...get the wiring harness...its like a 15 minute install. I've got the same dash kit in my Ex...looks nice

Another question...I read somewhere that you need to do something special for the antenna. I bought the wiring harness from Crutchfield and spliced everything so am I good to go or do I need something else?

Another question...I read somewhere that you need to do something special for the antenna. I bought the wiring harness from Crutchfield and spliced everything so am I good to go or do I need something else?

Nope your antenna should plug right in.

Thanks everyone for your help.

hey guys...i just wanted to let you know i installed this yesterday and everything worked out....at first i had problems getting the car wire into the hardness, but eventually it worked out...

Next thing im going to look into is speakers...what does everyone think of the factory ford speakers vs. aftermarket? and how hard is it to install them everywhere? I was thinking of maybe just doing the 4 doors. what do you think?

I did both front ones with wiring to the amp in ~ 1 hour, same for the rear ones, not really hard at all.

Go with aftermarket the paper ones we get stock aren't really that good, I got Kicker in the front and MA's at the rear (This ones I got used for like a 6 pack from a friend :thumbsup:) and I like the sound, I was just going for "better than stock" and that's what I got so I'm happy, I also have a small sub which I got for US15 at a garage sale hehe

BTW if you buy the speakers through Crutchfield, you'll get the harness as well (free) so no need for splicing or running new wires

Aftermarket is better by far.

and if you were able to put in a new head unit, then speakers will be a breeze, the toughest part is pulling apart the door panels to get to the cut outs, then its just two wires, and three or four screws

I have 4 of these in mine and they sound great,
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8703_Kicker+DS680.html

also i highly reccomend you buy from that site, they offer free shipping on a lot of things and are MUCH cheaper than places like crutchfield and tweeter(not sure about newegg)

if bought from crutchfeild you hu would have been $130(free wiring)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QxOXPszbTrI/p_130P3000IB/Pioneer-DEH-P3000IB.html

if bought from sonic electronix you hu would have been $99(free wiring and free shipping)http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11102_Pioneer+DEH-P3000IB.html

I am not really familiar with wiring in cars so I dont exactly know what you mean by wiring into the amp and what not so are they any sites that would help me understand how it all works? I was able to do the headunit but I am not sure how I would fare with the speakers.

Thanks again for all of your help

www.the12volt.com

In my system I have 4 speakers (one on each door) + 1 sub in the back everything is hooked up to a 4ch amp I installed where the stock sub would be or the net thing were you put crap all the way to the back.

Your setup is simpler than mine, so don't worry about it

To install the speakers, if you get the harness it'll be just click them to the stock harness and screw them in place, not really a problem, you won't even need to splice, solder, tape or anything like that, just click and done

Jad,
So If I do all 4 door speakers, I need to buy 4 speaker harnesses?

Yup, one for each, I got mine for free when I bought my speakers at Crutchfield
Here's what I'm talking about, one side has the connector that goes to the stock harness, the other end has speaker terminals that you just snap into place on your aftermarket speakers
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120710...harness&searchdisplay=speaker+harness&tp=3097

Check ebay or other online stores for prices on both the speakers and the harnesses to get a good deal.

If you don't like the price on these, you can just splice into the existing wiring and solder, tape, crimp (your choise, however soldering is recomended) the wire included with your speakers

Can anyone recommend some good cheap speakers? Like I said before I have the PIONEER DEH 3000IB HU.

Thanks.

EDIT: not necessarily "cheap", but I would like good speakers. I would pretty much just like them to be plug and play so I can just remove the old ones and put the new ones in with the harness, like I did with the HU.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Can anyone recommend some good cheap speakers? Like I said before I have the PIONEER DEH 3000IB HU.

Thanks.

EDIT: not necessarily "cheap", but I would like good speakers. I would pretty much just like them to be plug and play so I can just remove the old ones and put the new ones in with the harness, like I did with the HU.

Thanks again for all of your help.

did you even read my previous post?

burlette,
I did read it. and I will almost definitely get from them sonic...everything on there was cheaper then on Crutchfield by comparison...I am just trying to get some other recommendations on Speakers.....

You can go to Crutchfield and get all 4 speakers + the harnesses + instructions + shipping for ~130, what's your budget?
My friend had 4 MA audio in like new condition, he's been trying to sell them to me ~$40 for all 4, I can ask him if he still has them how much for them and if you agree on that + shipping....Let me know

ok, sorry if i came across like an ass, after reading what i said it kinda sounded like it.
do you know what size speakers you have?
and are you just talking speakers or a sub too?

I would like to keep my budget around 150-160. According to crutchfield, my speakers are 6"x8"....I dont know if Id want a sub since I have no idea what im doing really...

JAD what is MA audio? I didnt see that brand on any sites?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, would it be cheaper to get them from crutchfield since I get the harnesses free? Thats 52+shipping Id save...what do you think?

Also, does watts mean anything since Id just be using it with the factory stuff minus the factory head unit?

EDIT: These are what I was looking at:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KFC6882/Kenwood-KFC-C6882ie.html?tp=105

Back