Installing Pioneer CD Deck | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing Pioneer CD Deck

personally i don't think that there is really any need for harnesses, its just two wires, all you do is lop of the old connector and wrap the wires around the terminals on the new speaker, and for your speaker wattage's you would want something with a peak between 40 and 70 watts. its not really a science these things are approximate.
best advice is look at this list and find something you like(most are priced per pair, and all of them should be close to your power range)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i38_6---x-8---speakers.html

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MA audio is a brand, the ones I have sound really good in my setup.
http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/it....m282&Size=5%22%20x%207%22|6%22%20x%208%22%20

I went with Crutchfield because with all the freebies I got (shipping included) I paid very little more than I'd paid with other online sites without the freebies, so for me it was a good deal, but it really depends on what deals are available when you look, add to cart what you want on more than one site and check the final price, then go from there

so I dont really need the speaker harnesses? I can just put the splice the 2 wires using those caps that I crimp?

totally, its WAAAAAAAAAAY easier than you think

in fact for something like this it wouldn't even matter which terminals you put which wire on, (positive negative....)

Yup, you can just splice them into the stock harness (don't cut it tho' in case you want to go back to stock when you sell)

Hey guys,
I just ordered the speakers. I went with the PIONEER's from sonicelectronix (thanks burlette). So my total was around $120.

Quick question though that I forgot to ask after I Install the Headunit. When I unplugged my factory stereo, there were 2 cables that went into it. Only 1 of them went into the harness and into the new HU. What was the other cable for?

Im not sure what you mean, but if everything still works then I wouldnt worry about it.

But if you want to post a pic I could probably tell you.

burlette,
Here you go:

dsc02438xo4.jpg

The one wire plugged into the one on the right. The more square one (i guess?) on the left, I just have dangling in there. Any idea??

hmmm srry i have no idea, well like i said before, if it aint broke i wouldn't worry about it...

Hey guys..I just wanted to let you know that I started to install my speakers this weekend...did the front 2 and I gotta say you guys really made it sound as easy as it was...at first i thought i was going to mess something up with the door, but it went great...only problem i ran into was I didnt have the proper caps to put on the wires (i cut off the ford harnesses and just wired the speaker wires to them...i used twistee electric caps and electrical tape, but i am worried that they may come lose at some point...so i am going to get the ones that you squeeze on top of the connections...

thanks again guys, appreciate all of your help...

now i gotta think about what i want to upgrade next!

Cool! :thumbsup: told you it was easy hehe

Keep the connectors and speakers in case you decide to sell and want to keep the speakers you just bought

burlette,
thanks again for recommending Sonic...it saved me about 60$ on the speakers...

No prob. Just glad I could help.

Back