Instead of a spring over conversion....... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instead of a spring over conversion.......

bgracen

Reaction score
Why can't someone use the rear 8.8 axles out of a ford ranger? The spring width and perch placement look about the same. Would this work or would the spring perches not line up with the explorer springs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It may very well work, but why? You already have the complete axle assembly just weld the spring perchs and shock mounts on and you're in business for a low cost. Unless you happen to have a Ranger axle laying around that is.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com
www.4x4central.com
Ricks Explorer

Also, the Ranger 8.8 is only 28-spline, while the Explorer version is 31-spline. The brakes are also different.

Just a bit more fuel.

Gloria
93 EB Explorer (highly modified)
94 F150 Lightning

The Ranger axle may or may not be narrower than the Explorer axle, but it is definately only 28-spline.

Also, since the axles are smaller in diameter, the axle housing (tube) is a smaller diameter than the Explorer 31-spline unit. Theoretically, the smaller, lighter axle is not as strong (though I haven't bent mine - knock on wood!)

------------------
Scott
1993 Ranger, Modified

sjbosso@mindspring.com

Question: When the rear springs are put on the top of the axle what do I do for the front to raise it up too. Do the make a lift kit for just the front or do some lift kits put the spring on the top of the axle?
I have the chance to get a Explorer rearend out of a new model Exploere with disc brakes. Can I just switch my ring and pinion from my 91 to the new rear end so that my front and rear axles are matched?

Eric

------------------
I would rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy!

The superlift 5.5 inch lift has the option for a rear spring over which most people get. The other choice is to get new springs but they are rough. I like the 5.5 with the spring over and strongly recommend it. I dont know about the question about gears but somebody will.

TJ Cotta
94xlt 5.5in lift

You can buy weld on spring perchs from a good 4x4 shop for $20-30. These weld onto the top of the axle tubes.

Yes, you can swap your gears from one 8.8" to another. They need to be set for pinion depth and backlash though.

Back