93 EB SAS and Spring Over conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 EB SAS and Spring Over conversion

I'm about to start my newest project on my 93 explorer. It has a 6 inch suspension right now but i'm selling that (if anyone is interested) and putting a whole new set up in. Here is waht i'm doing.
Dana 30 with 4.10 gears up front
Hy-steering system
BDS 2" leaf springs for the spring over in front and rear
origional 8.8 ford axle in rear with 4.10 gears

I'm still researching a lot of how to do it and am thinking i'm gonna need a new driveshaft because my lift will now be about 7-8 inches once it settles. If anyone can help me on where to find a new one i would appreciate it, or if anyone has done a similar conversion i would appreciate all if any tips on how to go about this whole process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

uhh, seconds on the lift kit

Originally posted by MuddyHarris#8
BDS 2" leaf springs for the spring over in front and rear

Are you planning on using Jeep YJ springs? If so, lemme save you a few hassles, the YJ springs are going to be too soft for the explorer and will probably heavily sag after a bit. I am going to use stock Grand waggy springs (79) for the front of my truck (SOA).

If you get YJ springs, i suggest getting the RE 1.5" SOA springs, but can't garantee how long they will last.

just a lil heads up. THere are Several of us on the boards that are working on or have done leaf spring SAS's on here, search and read up!

For the 91-94 exploders do a search for notajp's writeup, hes got a leaf spring sas

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86486&highlight=more+sas

yeah i don't mind though if it sags a some once it starts to settle because origionally its gonna sit a little to high for what i had in mind so it doesn't bother me. I'm hoping to have it done before mid january though so once i have some pics i'll post them.

I had custom made driveshafts built at a local driveline shop. You can check out Tom Wood's driveshafts online or in any 4x4 mag. He was a little pricey and I got a local guy with lots of off-road experience.

I still love my RE 1.5" springs. They settled a little (which is what I wanted) but ride and flex outstanding.

I had the YJ RE 4.5" (5 leaf) packs in the front of my X. They couldn't handle the weight.

Robb,
I don't know what the difference was but mine have handled the weight fine. I have some theroies about why you're went bad, however, to keep the wars from starting I'll keep it to myself.

Yeah i was going to use the RE 1.5" but they were twice as expensive as the BDS and i know those are pretty good so i decided to go with them, plus if they settle some i'll be happy with it.

Hey man There is a kit being offered by the shop that did my sas. I think it is somewhere around 1500.00 and is full of cool parts like heims, jonny joints, chromoly tubing and custom coils. It is a complete conversion kit and will have to be welded on. They said it will work on any jeep D30 axle ie: xj, yj, tj and zj. you can use high or low pinion and it comes with steering too :) The number of the shop is STAGE WEST 1-970-945-5227, ask for Joel and tell him tyou are looking for the explorer sas kit and he can tell you more.

Thanks a lot, I already have all my parts though, but i'll check out what they have in case i need individual parts if something screws up, I want to use hy-steering anyways and i'm using a special package built for the D30 from samsoffroad.com
What kind of shocks and lenghts did you use? What is your set up like and waht tire size are you running under?

What size gears were u running before the swap

I am running 33's at the moment only because I bought them 2 months ago and need to sell them so I can run 35's. The wheel base was streched 3" and now the center of the axle is perfectly centered in the wheel well allowing me to run 35's with only 4" springs. I used rancho 9000's and they are 12" travel. Stage West also is offering a high steer made with one ton yj rod ends and super beefy 1 1/4 chromoly tubing. I just went with the normal steering because of the lack of funds :( I think it is only like 250.00 to up grade the steering though. I would call Joel and tell him what you are doing and he can probably make you a trick steering for that thing for a lot cheaper than other after market companies.

Pico- I don't know about Harris but I was running 4.10's with 33's and now I am running 4.88 with 33's soon to be 35's.

Hey James, Its Steven White, what's up man. I was talking to the guys at 4x4 Connection and they told me you were going SAS. I can't wait to see it. PM sent.
later.

after my swap which i'm starting right after the new year i'll have 4.10's with 33's....i'm not sure when i'll go to 35's though due to funds.

Steven, i'm sellin the lift i have now and possibly the tires if your interested in buyin either...let me know if your interested

Back