Instrument cluster lights are inoperative in my 1997 Eddie Bauer. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument cluster lights are inoperative in my 1997 Eddie Bauer.

Tom whiting

Reaction score
City, State
Montesano Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
eddie bauer 5.0 auto
my 97 eddie bauer explorer inst cluster lights just quit working.I started with the simple checks such as fuses light bulbs. It acts like a bad ground. As soon as the switch is turned the I/C lights go out.even the OD light . The lights for message center, dome etc will dim but stay lit. I have replaced the switch and dimmer mod with no luck .

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

inst cluster lights just stopped working. Checked the fuses, replaced all194 bulbs in cluster still out. Was told it was possibly the switch replaced it with new one ,did nothing. Tried another dimmer mod no change.It acts to me like a ground problem. Turn switch the lights will come on for a split sec all other lights function but are dim. Any body ever had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

inst cluster lights just stopped working. Checked the fuses, replaced all194 bulbs in cluster still out. Was told it was possibly the switch replaced it with new one ,did nothing. Tried another dimmer mod no change.It acts to me like a ground problem. Turn switch the lights will come on for a split sec all other lights function but are dim. Any body ever had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have lol when I first got my truck checked everything replaced the batt ECT finally realized the headlights knob turns to adjust the brightness... It does sound like a ground problem tho.

Does anyone have wiring diagram for the cluster harness for 97 eddie bauer explorer. Cannot seem to locate one anywhere.

Sounds like you need to take the dash apart, pull out the cluster,
inspect+clean+tighten all connections\harnesses\sockets & the flexible circuit board, replace all bulbs.
Believe you've got the same style cluster as my 2001; more info & links on this at

Sorry for slow response
Cleaned new 194 bulbs checked the grounds that I could find. No luck yet. I need to find a wiring diagram for the cluster try to find a common denominator

Welcome Tom. The electrical systems of an old vehicle are the hardest to figure out, so go slow and learn how everything works(is supposed to), before spending too much on new parts.

These have a dimmer switch that directly controls the dash and interior lights, the "wheel" just to the right of the main switch. So that you need to play with to see how it brightens the light. It also turns them completely off or on, pushed all the way down or up(early models didn't have all three functions). That dimmer switch is a weak link, suspect that often with lighting issues.

The optional automatic headlight feature is also a main possible control circuit. If your truck has that, be sure which kind of lights control is being on(is that turned off, or to some level of time delay). That is in the mirror on these Explorers, so sometimes the mirror can create the electrical issue, lights flickering etc.

So I suggest playing with the controls and figure out which are not part of the problem, and which can be. It sounds like a control issue, not bulbs or a simple fuse problem.

Welcome Tom. The electrical systems of an old vehicle are the hardest to figure out, so go slow and learn how everything works(is supposed to), before spending too much on new parts.

These have a dimmer switch that directly controls the dash and interior lights, the "wheel" just to the right of the main switch. So that you need to play with to see how it brightens the light. It also turns them completely off or on, pushed all the way down or up(early models didn't have all three functions). That dimmer switch is a weak link, suspect that often with lighting issues.

The optional automatic headlight feature is also a main possible control circuit. If your truck has that, be sure which kind of lights control is being on(is that turned off, or to some level of time delay). That is in the mirror on these Explorers, so sometimes the mirror can create the electrical issue, lights flickering etc.

So I suggest playing with the controls and figure out which are not part of the problem, and which can be. It sounds like a control issue, not bulbs or a simple fuse problem.
Good things to think about. Going to try cleaning and inspecting the main harness connections on firewall first.I just don't want to throw parts at and never really find the root of the problem.I really think ill find a dirty connection
My problem is finding the road map to follow Thank you for this valuable information. Will let you know what I find. Again thank you.

Sorry for slow response
Cleaned new 194 bulbs checked the grounds that I could find. No luck yet. I need to find a wiring diagram for the cluster try to find a common denominator

|
|
|
V

Back