97 explorer cluster lights not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 explorer cluster lights not working

Jussin

Reaction score
City, State
Richland, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XL 4.0 OHV
Im having trouble diagnosing why my dash lights aren't working. I have a 97 explorer XL 4.0 OHV, they haven't worked since I purchased it last year. I have a 99 XLT 4.0 OHV that I use for parts.
What ive done so far
-checked fuses (all good)
-checked dimmer switch and headlamp switch for burn damage(none)
-replaced headlamp switch
-dimmer switch is different in a 99
-replaced all cluster bulbs (most were burnt).
While working I noticed someone had "replaced" the radio, I'm surprised it even worked. Several wires are twist &taped together, non matching colors, loose ends.
After replacing the cluster bulbs I noticed that when turning on the key, they 4x4 lights blink three times, while that was happening my dimmer switch was dimming only the 4x4 lights. No other function lights were affected and the bulbs didnt come on at all.
Is the botched radio wiring to blame?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im having trouble diagnosing why my dash lights aren't working. I have a 97 explorer XL 4.0 OHV, they haven't worked since I purchased it last year. I have a 99 XLT 4.0 OHV that I use for parts.
What ive done so far
-checked fuses (all good)
-checked dimmer switch and headlamp switch for burn damage(none)
-replaced headlamp switch
-dimmer switch is different in a 99
-replaced all cluster bulbs (most were burnt).
While working I noticed someone had "replaced" the radio, I'm surprised it even worked. Several wires are twist &taped together, non matching colors, loose ends.
After replacing the cluster bulbs I noticed that when turning on the key, they 4x4 lights blink three times, while that was happening my dimmer switch was dimming only the 4x4 lights. No other function lights were affected and the bulbs didnt come on at all.
Is the botched radio wiring to blame?
Any help would be much appreciated!
You did not state, if check for voltage at all those points?
I believe, it could be the dimming module.
You need too check for voltage at all the key points. There are a few few fuse that control that system. From the attached diagrams the 4x4 lights are a different system.
See attached diagram. Start at the fuses ( check for voltage) and go thru the diagrams.
1-5 see second post

IMG_20230521_093041.jpg

IMG_20230521_093056.jpg

IMG_20230521_093132_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20230521_093144.jpg

IMG_20230521_093200.jpg

You need too check for voltage at all the key points. There are a few few fuse that control that system. From the attached diagrams the 4x4 lights are a different system.
See attached diagram. Start at the fuses ( check for voltage) and go thru the diagrams.
1-5 see second post

View attachment 441931

View attachment 441932

View attachment 441933

View attachment 441934

View attachment 441935

IMG_20230521_093317.jpg

IMG_20230521_093313.jpg

IMG_20230521_093541.jpg

From my own experience, I replaced one bulb in the dash cluster and in the end I replaced all the bulbs ( even the switches). The bulbs are baked and once you move than around they break.
Justin you did not state, when shot the part cannon, all the parts were in working order.
The dimming module is located on the driver side section ( left side behind ) of the I/P.
Also Check ground G100 on Left hand fender apron.

The 4wd lights should not be a part of the dimmer??? They are simply indicator bulbs
Only lights on the cluster related to the dimmer should be the illumination bulbs

Something for sure fishy

Does the rest of your dash light up like the climate control lights? Push buttons?
Try removing the radio and unhooking/redo the bad wiring job see if that helps

1-5 see second post

View attachment 441931

View attachment 441932

View attachment 441933

View attachment 441934

View attachment 441935
Thanks! I'll have to borrow or buy a multimeter to check, but thank you for the diagrams! Its a pain to find anything reliable on the internet.

The 4wd lights should not be a part of the dimmer??? They are simply indicator bulbs
Only lights on the cluster related to the dimmer should be the illumination bulbs

Something for sure fishy

Does the rest of your dash light up like the climate control lights? Push buttons?
Nope 0 illumination all around. Im about ready to salvage the radio & harness from my 99 (in great shape). The 99 radio has a couple extra wires in one of the plug ins but for all i know the 97 should look the same

From my own experience, I replaced one bulb in the dash cluster and in the end I replaced all the bulbs ( even the switches). The bulbs are baked and once you move than around they break.
Justin you did not state, when shot the part cannon, all the parts were in working order.
The dimming module is located on the driver side section ( left side behind ) of the I/P.
Also Check ground G100 on Left hand fender apron.
The bulbs i used to replace the burnt ones were all working, both the original headlight switch and replacement were working. I cant confirm the dimmer switch works other than its affect on the 4x4 lights.

Something for sure fishy

AFAICT, they all (or at least most) including the 4WD light runs through the dimmer, on the red/black wire out of the dimmer module.

It's shown on this attached PDF and it may also be helpful to Jussin, once he acquires a multimeter. This is a merged diagram from two separate ones.

Attachments

• interior-lights-instrument-illumination-circuit-All(merged).pdf
    237.2 KB · Views: 43

The bulbs i used to replace the burnt ones were all working, both the original headlight switch and replacement were working. I cant confirm the dimmer switch works other than its affect on the 4x4 lights.
? Are you talking about the bulb in the switch for 4x4 switch.
1. Get your test light or volt meter, and see if you have voltage in and out of the original headlight switch.
2. If you have voltage too the switch; then the dimming module is OK.
If not, then the dimming module is bad.
3. Check ground G100 on Left hand fender apron. Or put your multi meter on resistance and see you have a ground at the headlight switch.
4. You can buy a test light at harbor freight for $10. Also There mult- meter is cheap.
Just a Note, if you have a bad connection, the mult-meter will show good , but when apply voltage then the bad connection will open.
5. The relay module ( pink wire)get power from fuse 7, 30 amp.
6. There is also a interior fuse panel. Fuse 27, 15 amp
7. The dimmer module feed wire is light green with a orange stripe.
The under hood light is on that fuse and the interior map lights.
8. If that checks out dimmer module.
a) then you need too check ground G100. Black wire
The headlight switch has two 12v feed too it.
b) light blue with a red stripe
c) brown with a white stripe. ( from relay module)
9. See attached for headlight testing

IMG_20230521_155117.jpg

IMG_20230521_155114.jpg

IMG_20230521_155108.jpg

IMG_20230521_155048.jpg

I never noticed! Thanks for the education dudes!!
I had no idea the indicator lights dimmed!!

Back