Instrument cluster Lights are Still out | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Instrument cluster Lights are Still out

psenders

Reaction score
City, State
New York, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT 4wd
Well I reviewed and tested the rotary switch for the headlamps and it checks out good . So the rotary switch is ok. The radio ilumination works on the dimmer control so I know the dimmer is working ok . Does anybody know which wire provides power to the instrument cluster (Color Code). The connectors are all seated in place. Could it be I lost the ground somewhere if so where do I start looking all gauges are working fine just the cluster has no lights.

Your most likely candidate is your dimmer module.but could be a broken splice... your "tests" / observations indicate that one "side" (ie. radio) is working while the other "side" (ie. IP) is bad.... check / trace the R/BK for "something" as its not a DC voltage.

Thanks for the feed back. You referenced the following.

"side" (ie. IP) is bad.... check / trace the R/BK for "something" as its not a DC voltage.

Explanition needed for IP and something" as its not a DC.

Can I bye pass the dimmer switch and jump the leads to show dash lights?

What do you think. I'll let you know how results turn out after your response. May take a week . Again, Thanks a lot. :salute:

Phil

Back