• Register Today It's free!

Instrument Panel Lighting

C-mon

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Eddie Bauer
I have a question regarding the instrument panel lights in my '99 Explorer (EB). Overall the gauges seem dim, as if they are going out. On certain gauges they are almost non existent. Is this a problem that can be fixed by me on Saturday or Sunday morning? Or is this a job that I need to get a dealer involved in? If I can fix it myself, where could I begin looking on methods to fix my issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a question regarding the instrument panel lights in my '99 Explorer (EB). Overall the gauges seem dim, as if they are going out. On certain gauges they are almost non existent. Is this a problem that can be fixed by me on Saturday or Sunday morning? Or is this a job that I need to get a dealer involved in? If I can fix it myself, where could I begin looking on methods to fix my issue?

I just recently got my ex and i had this same problem. I went to autozone and purchased some bulbs and changed them. It took me about 15 minutes to complete. Its real straight forward and very simple. You do not need to be mechanically inclinded to do this.

Good luck.

What bulbs would I need to look for, does it require me to take apart my dash board in order to get to these bulbs?

You don't have to "take it apart," but you do have to remove it so you have access to the bulb sockets behind the panel. It doesn't require mechanical ability, but will require persistence....and possibly a radio removal tool ($2-$3 at WalMart). Do a "search" for this procedure in this forum.

A word of caution: ensure that you disconnect the battery before you start in order to disable the airbags. You don't want the driver's bag deploying while you're sitting behind the wheel pulling at panels and stuff...potentially lethal.

I think the bulbs are 194's, but the parts shop can tell you for sure.

I did this without disconnecting the battery but that was me.
The bulbs i used were 194s.

You do not need to take apart the full dash board. Its real simple to do.:thumbsup:

Steps and pics

First thing that should be done - disconnect the battery.
The screws were either 7mm or 8mm on my 98 Sport.
After this i took out the two screws (7mm) that hold the radio bezel in place.
p_00156.jpg

Then pop it out slightly and let it rest.
p_00146.jpg

I think it would have been better to just pull it all the way out. But i was doing this in my free time at work so i didn't want to mess with it too much.

Next, 4 screws for the panel under the steering column.
p_00150.jpg

p_00155.jpg

This panel will pop out now to reveal a metal bracket approximately the same size.

Next, 3 screws at the top of the dash.
p_00147.jpg

Then, remove the screws with the red arrows to allow access to the green arrows. Remove the green arrow screws.
p_00144.jpg

p_00145.jpg

This panel should now be free to pull out. I had to tilt my steering column down and pull the shift handle to 1st so i could get it out.
Then disconnect the light and dimmer switches.
p_00143.jpg

Last 4 screws to allow access to the lights.
p_00142.jpg

p_00141.jpg

Put everything back together and you're all set.
The main bulbs on mine are 194s but there are smaller bulbs for the misc. lights (check engine, 4 wheel, high beams). Not sure what they are, none of mine are out so i didn't bother to check.

enjoy

That is a great write-up with pics. Took my less than an hour to replace mine. Do tilt the steering wheel all the way down. It makes it easier to remove the gauge cluster. And use the 194LL (long life) bulbs. :) While you have the dash open you can replace the bulb for the headlight switch if yours is out. I used one from Radio Shack, #272-1092.

Great write up! Does the 272-1092 bulb just drop in nicely?

That is a great write-up with pics. Took my less than an hour to replace mine. Do tilt the steering wheel all the way down. It makes it easier to remove the gauge cluster. And use the 194LL (long life) bulbs. :) While you have the dash open you can replace the bulb for the headlight switch if yours is out. I used one from Radio Shack, #272-1092.

thanks... i was surprised how well my camera phone worked on those

This would also be a good opportunity to replace the illumination bulb in the headlight switch if it's not working. You can get little bulbs that fit the plastic stalk perfectly from RadioShack, but if the colored cover doesn't come off of the bulb you'll need to color it with something.

Back