• Register Today It's free!

Intake and Exhaust questions

christhek

Reaction score
City, State
Indy
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Limited V8
First post after newbie area...hope this is the right spot!
Just bought a new 08 Sport Trac (V8) and want to change the intake and exhaust. Do I need to reflash, reprogram, or do anything to change the computer for the air/fuel stuff or is it ok to add/change these areas w/o a problem? I changed intake and exhausts on my motorcycle and while Power Commanders are popular they are not necessary for bikes with these mods. What is the best for the Ford engines?:usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I put on the Magnaflow catback exhaust and a K&N air filter. Easy to install, looks great, and what a big difference in performance. You will love the sound of the 4.6L V-8(very nice while at freeway cruise and awesome when you hit it). No reprogram was required. K&N has a complete intake available, check their web site. Enjoy your Sport Trac. SC

A reprogram isn't needed.
But it isn't a bad idea either. I bought an Xcal with 3 different tunes and noticed a nice increase in performance with the tuner alone. Plus you can change the way the transmission shifts, rev limits, speed limits, air/fuel ratios, tire sizes, read trouble codes, etc.

So it sounds like it is something you can do for optimization but not a requirement for running these mods on the truck. Since I never did it to my bike and never had a problem, and most people who know bikes will tell you is isn't needed, I thought it would be the same way for the Ford, but you never know. Thanks!

?

So it sounds like it is something you can do for optimization but not a requirement for running these mods on the truck. Since I never did it to my bike and never had a problem, and most people who know bikes will tell you is isn't needed, I thought it would be the same way for the Ford, but you never know. Thanks!

Optimization:rolleyes:
It is not a requirement to install these mod's, and since I have owned bikes(Suzuki,Honda,Kawasaki,and currently a Harley, YES it is not needed, but you did ask:confused: After market stuff is nice to have, looks good, sounds great, etc.
If you want it, get it, if not, then don't.:D

I know the mods aren't needed...I just wanted to know if the reprogram was or wasn't needed if I did install the mods. Mods are always cool if that's your thing and have the money but certainly they aren't needed for normal driving. I was just wanting to know if I did install the mods if the computer would require anything additional. Thanks. :thumbsup:
BTW I have a Honda (F4i) currently and with the exhaust and intake stuff, it didn't do anything but make it cooler and sound better but really didn't maximize anything...except my ego;)

Point is you may be paying some $300 or more on a cat-back exhaust and intake but since your engine isn't tuned for it you only getting $200 of what you paid for.

IMO; completely worth the K&N FIPK for a little more snap on the throttle and some improved fuel economy.

The high flow aftermarket exhaust is a must for a V8 Trac IMO. The sound that 4.6L makes is just awesome. I did the flowmaster 50 SUV and it sounds amazing. If you want a similar sound on a smaller budget try a Vortex muffler. It has a better sound but restricts airflow a little more than the Flowmaster 50 SUV.

The next stage would be a new Mass Air Flow Sensor, SCT tuner or HYpertech mod.

If you do all the above you may see 3mpg increase in fuel and if you're mood is to rape pavement you should see and feel at least another 45hp net.

If you have the Adrenalin AWD you better do these mods above or the 2WD will kick your butt in a drag! You lose about 7-10% hp with AWD :(

If you do not want to go the route of the chip/tuner. You can always do te poor mans tune. Which is quite simple and takes less than an hour. Basically all you need to do is disconnect your battery for atleast 30 minutes. Then after the time has pasted reconnect it. And turn you truck on and let it idle for about 15 to 20 minutes. Your ECU will remap itself for the extra air and flow. You wont get max gains out of this. But it is still a way to help your truck run a little better. This is just me .02.

Fordxman,

How do you figure you have 325HP? The exhaust adds 10hp max. If you have the full cold air intake by K&N you would gain 11hp. That would be something to the tune of 313hp.

I'm thinking you have a tune that you forgot to put in your sig?

I think that you are missing the part about adding the throttle body and the tuner to that HP estimate.

Sorry to jump in here, but I'm researching mods and I came across this thread. I'm also thinking of going for the flowmaster 50suv on my STA. I looked into the 70 series but I think it may be a bit tamer, and want just a bit of grunt to my truck. Nothing loud, just subtly apparent.

Back