Intake manifold exploded | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake manifold exploded

You definitly had fuel in your intake plenum and somehow it ignited. Or the much less likely would be the compression backed up into the intake. But then you would either have broken exhaust valves or the timing is off. Which you would have driveablity problems. So if it has ran good then you defintly had fuel trapped in your intake plenum.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You definitly had fuel in your intake plenum and somehow it ignited. Or the much less likely would be the compression backed up into the intake. But then you would either have broken exhaust valves or the timing is off. Which you would have driveablity problems. So if it has ran good then you defintly had fuel trapped in your intake plenum.

Was running absolutely fine, i havent had a chance to get at it and rip it apart get but im thinking i might have a leaky injector

So i started my truck up yesterday and as soon as it fired i heard a very loud bang accompanied by smoke under the hood. Popped my hood and ran to open it and found my upper intake manifold blown to pieces.. my question is how did this happen and also how should i go about fixing it. Any help is appreciated thank you
My manifold just exploded today 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer 3.0L V6. Had a crank no start issue. Fired it up 2 days later and it blew sounded like a Shot gun or large professional firework.

My manifold just exploded today 2002 ford explorer eddie bauer 3.0L V6. Had a crank no start issue. Fired it up 2 days later and it blew sounded like a Shot gun or large professional firework.
You must mean you have the 4.0. Any suspicions as to why?

You must mean you have the 4.0. Any suspicions as to why?
Yes 4.0. I believe it might have been the same as others here. A build up of fuel in the regulator, line. I know I had a no start issue prior to that. Didn't really know what was wrong. I replaced the crank sensor, and camshaft sensor. But I don't think that would be a he reason for the explosion. Jad to be some pressure build up.

So i started my truck up yesterday and as soon as it fired i heard a very loud bang accompanied by smoke under the hood. Popped my hood and ran to open it and found my upper intake manifold blown to pieces.. my question is how did this happen and also how should i go about fixing it. Any help is appreciated thank you
What's your motor fine after it I'm asking cause my 02 ford explorer just did the same thing to me tonight

What's your motor fine after it I'm asking cause my 02 ford explorer just did the same thing to me tonight
Well, at least you got your starter problem fixed.

I have heard people call them Exploders but never thought....

Okay, I'm going to take a page from your experience here. If we ever get a crank no start, I'll pull the vacuum hose off the FPR and take a sniff. If I smell tons of fuel, I won't start it until I install a new FPR.

Back