Intake manifold gasket remove. What is this round part? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake manifold gasket remove. What is this round part?

martin_95037

Reaction score
City, State
Morgan Hill, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer EB 4.6 V8
Can someone please tell me what this round thing is and what it does? I found one in the drivers side of the engine closest to the radiator, but there is only 1. There could be another one that can go on the passers side close to the door but there was not one there. Do I need Another one?

6D0D6409-B1CF-4671-A383-1A66DD0242A6.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can someone please tell me what this round thing is and what it does? I found one in the drivers side of the engine closest to the radiator, but there is only 1. There could be another one that can go on the passers side close to the door but there was not one there. Do I need Another one?

View attachment 325714
You ever find out what that thing is?

Is just a hollow tube? Looks like a locating dowel to me.

was it hooked up to anything? I haver done plenty of 98-03 4.0 sohc intakes and never seen that bit before. Maybe someone just dropped it in there.....

It is a hollow tube with a tapered bottom and a flange on the top. It goes inside the block and the gasket sits on top of it.

lady at th Ford store spoke with someone working on cars. They said it is part of the manifold and is pressed in. But if it is pressed in than how could it have been sitting on the block.

mechanic came by and looked at it the computer with the parts counter lady. He said that this engine may not be original, and perhaps a remanufacture. Their may have been scouring inside this bore, when this was discovered they may have had to machine the bore to clean it up then insert this hollow tube in. If I ever have to replace the manifold again. I will getting a tool to measure inside of both bores.

Alright thank you I’m about to tackle this aswell hopefull nothing random in there lol
please give a report back and let me know what you find.

please give a report back and let me know what you find.
Will do I plan on making a post aswell since it’s a mustang intake going on and some really old forums have said it won’t fit so I’d like to get some correct info up.

There is a metal pipe ( for coolant I think) on the right side of the engine in the V as you are looking at it from the radiator. That might be your problem.

There is a metal pipe ( for coolant I think) on the right side of the engine in the V as you are looking at it from the radiator. That might be your problem.
Yeah if your referring to the heater hose? I think it’s called I believe it’ll fit because the part number is shared for the 2. Your referring to the metal hose that comes out of the back of the water pump?

I have the mustang intake in my possession and as far as I can tell the underside looks identical the explorer replacement so I would think it’s the same? I have noticed right off the bat that the bottom of this intake is 2-3 inches deeper but the stock heater hose routes to the right and up around the valley and doesnt run under the intake like the old 4.6s so I’m pretty confident it should work at this point. I just hope it doesn’t throw to much off with the air/fuel and all that

Yeah if your referring to the heater hose? I think it’s called I believe it’ll fit because the part number is shared for the 2. Your referring to the metal hose that comes out of the back of the water pump?
Not sure.

Back