• Register Today It's free!

Intake Manifold tightening

jeisbell

Reaction score
City, State
Kent, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
I suspect that my intake manifold bolts are causing a vaccum leak and ping...can anyone tell me how to tighten the lower manifold bolts?
I have a 94 sport 4.oL
I checked the repair manual and it looks like an indepth fix.
Cheers!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did mine with a 1/4 inch ratchet and some extensions and swivel and 10mm socket.Its not that hard to do:D

How did you get to the bolts??? They seem to be burried under the upper intake manifold.
Did you have to remove the upper manifold, or are they accessable with out removing anything.
Thanks,
Justin

Would loose lower mainfold bolts impact gas mileage any? What about engine noise in general, is it possible to hear this? I'm just thinking that if there's a vacum leak maybe you could hear it?
--Bob

I got to all my bolts without removing the upper intake.Loose bolts will create a ping,increased oil comsumption,among other things:(

Do you access the bolts from the top of the engine?
I am looking at the intake and I don't see any bolts for the lower intake, just the ones on the upper intake.

I've done mine a few times, and I tightened them with the upper intake in place, though some say it's just easier to remove the upper intake. There are 10 bolts. Along the passenger side of the intake, they are pretty easy to get at, except for the one that sits underneath the thermostat housing outlet and just next to the #1 injector. The sit down in the valley between the upper intake manifold and the valve covers. That valley might be full of dirt/crud, obscuring your view of the bolts. On the drivers side, three of the bolts are accessed through the "gaps" in the upper intake manifold. Then there's one at the back of the engine that I find I can access with enough universal and wobble extensions. The front one on the passenger side is underneath the throttle body. If you took off the upper intake, the bolts would probably jump out and be pretty obvious.

Personally, I couldn't get to the lower intake bolts with extensions or anything else. (they're pretty buried). So I had to remove the upper intake manifold (and TB, EGR, etc.). It was easy, but time consuming to remove all that stuff.

Back