Intake modification -opions wanted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake modification -opions wanted

Wrench Head

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ranger 4.0 2wd
Recently my 92 Ranger 4.0 OHV developed a coolant leak (intake gasket). This apparently is quite common, the bolts loosen themselves up and viola.
I personally don't like the design and aside from replacing the gasket and using loctite on the bolts I'm thinking that there has to be a better way.
The design of this gasket and the use of silicon on the ends has got me thinking of something better. If someone was to machine a groove around the coolant ports and along the ends of the intake it would allow for more silicon to be used therefore making it more tolerant of expansion and contraction.
I came across this video which shows more or less what I am thinking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Pivthmri8

Let me know what you think, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't lock tight anything on you intake. It's aluminum and a striping is very easy.

As for your idea, I think it's sound but those kinds of designs tend to use o-rings for sealing. Might work fine.

Sorry, I was considering using blue loctite on the lower intake bolts that thread into the block. As for silicon I plan on using Permatex Right Stuff.

I wouldn't use loctite, I dont think it's the bolts that come loose. I've never seen it happen. As for the design of the lower intake manifold , it's been used forever. Even new cars are the same way.

Don't use loctite.

If you want you can take the intake to a machine shop and have them cut a grove for an oring. But even orings fail eventually. Waste of time/money imo

Lots of posts about loose intake bolts, there is even a TSB to check them.

Lots of posts about loose intake bolts, there is even a TSB to check them.

The problem with using loctite is it could throw off your torque wrench reading. Loctite is great, but you don't loctite cylinder heads for a reason. I'd put the intake manifold in the same basket.

Contacted Loctite and this is what they told me...

Loctite® does not affect the torque of a standard bolt. This would also relate to a friction coefficient of 0.15

I don't believe them, however you're welcome to do as you please. Good luck with whatever you do

Cant remember if it was the upper / lower intake bolts, or maybe the valve cover bolts that come NEW with the tips dipped in some form of light locktite like cement or rubber

I went ahead and grooved the ends of the manifold, still may groove it around the coolant ports.

Since everyone loves pics...

1455388443_zpsrl2s7jhj.jpg

1455388452_zps8bsoro51.jpg

1455388454_zpsysirhmmq.jpg

Porting the intake....

1455388448_zps2qifz2ql.jpg

1455388445_zps1cdglsgl.jpg

some other parts ready to go...

1455388456_zps7sitswcs.jpg

I would never loctite manifold bolts. You are lucky to get them out without breaking as it is.

I like the machined groove idea. Hope it works as intended. :thumbsup:

I still can't believe how loose the bolts were when I took the manifold off, the truck only has 166 thousand kms on it and the guy I had bought it from already had the top end done once.:eek:

I would never loctite manifold bolts. You are lucky to get them out without breaking as it is.

I like the machined groove idea. Hope it works as intended. :thumbsup:

Ditto on both comments. The groove turned out better than I imagined. Nice job.

LIM bolts cause issues also due to iron heads and aluminum intakes expansion rates. While locktite does affect going in wet, it does when retorquing later...mine still loosen despite thread locking. Now I just keep the threads clean and torque with confidence. Just me of course

I haven't used loctite on the IM bolts, and I have had to check torque once when I rebuilt the top end of my 92 3 years ago. I gave it 500 miles or so, and checked torque, I might have had one or two loose.

I like the groove and the port job, good luck and let us know how it all works out.

Thanks guys, its a winter project :D. The throttle body, and upper intake are done, still have the heads to do and hopefully they are not cracked. I won't be using loctite on the intake manifold bolts but will install studs in place of the bolts. I have decided to continue the grove around the coolant ports. Will continue to keep updating this thread on my progress and the eventual outcome.

Finally finished the rough machining, still got alot of polishing to do. Here are some pics.

1457120906_zpskvlotpmg.jpg

1457123000_zpsppnjwmn1.jpg

1457123006_zpsflqqchop.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back