• Register Today It's free!

Intake Questions...

mattd08

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hey guys, I have been reading threads for 4.0 V6 intake options and i still have a few questions. I have found some cheap intake systems on ebay and i was wondering if anyone here has purchased and attempted to install one of these kits?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...|Model:Explorer|Year:2002&hash=item1e6251bc38

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...|Model:Explorer|Year:2002&hash=item4153bcc1f2

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-0...|Model:Explorer|Year:2002&hash=item3cb63028ae

I listed a few of the options i found above. I just went to ebay and typed in my vehicle info. The listings say it will fit the 4.0 but im still wanting some more advice/help on these options. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i bought something similar from ebay for my 97.def not top quality but gets the job done.cant beat the price

Okay, Thanks! Did you actually see some changes in maybe higher RPMs or in sound?

I cant say it made a noticable change in rpms but it did sound a lot better than the stock setup.

Okay thanks for the info. It almost seems to hard to beat. Im wondering if a 3rd gen owner has installed this in one of the their explorers?

I have an CAI intake on my 05 4.0L SOHC. Mine doesn't look like any of those options. Those are a different style upper intake manifold than our 3rd gens.

newestintake.jpg

Don't mind the wiring, thats fixed ;)

That looks good Nate! Where perhaps did you purchase that intake at?

I bought it the intake on ebay, mass air flow adapter from caldwell, and the filter from autozone.
For some reason i've never seen it listed after I purchased it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Okay, im going to see if i can somehow purchase an intake off ebay (similar to yours) and get ahold of a mass air flow adapter. Thanks for the help!

I dont think you will need a mass air flow sensor adapter. You have an 02 right? Because the 04-05s have a combined maf sensor and the 02-03s have a seperate unit. So you can use the seperate unit on the CAI.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes i do have a 2002. Thanks for clearing that up. When i was reading i was trying to figure out why there were certain threads for the 04-05 and not the 02, but now it all makes sense. I found one on ebay that has the same tubing yours has so im thinking i might be able to purchase it and it MIGHT work. Im still gonna do some reading and research before i buy anything. Thanks again Nate!

The KKM would work great. You still aren't elimanting the helmholtz resonators a.k.a the boxes on the intake tube. With an CAI intake installation, that is what you want to delete off of the intake.

Okay, so the only way to emilinate the boxes on the intake tube is to go with a full K&N or the Volant intake perhaps? This might be a dumb question but...How does the hemholtz resonators affect the air flow on the intake?

My intake is a nice smooth pipe, air is easily able to enter the engine. No restritction at all. Stock intake is great, but those resonators will disturb and restrict the flow of air. The better the air can enter the engine the more power. And the smooth pipe creates better flow.
Sorry if I am sounding like a salesman.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nate have you done a comparison in gas mileage between the stock tube and a smooth aftermarket one? I can understand how a smooth one would flow more but I would think it would be most beneficial at WOT; being that the throttle plate only allows so much air to flow in during "normal" (part throttle) driving anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

those resonators on the intake can be plugged with any sort of plug, i found one at home depot and when i plugged up the 2 holes i noticed it sounded better and louder,(v8) this was before i got the k&n intake and port polished throttle body :)

You will get better performance with those plugged versus having the resonators on them still.

the performance gain will be so minimal u wont notice it but the sound will be better and louder cause all those things do is restrict sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gotcha...thanks for clearing that up sir.

I think I am going to test all this out as far as mileage gains using my scanguage. I drive the same route every day to work...around 30 miles with about mostly highway driving. Traffic is almost always the same. I could adjust my route so the trip to work is highway and the trip home is surface streets to get a good amount of mileage data for both types.

I will test the following setups:
Stock airbox with stock filter and stock tube
- with and without headlight duct
- with and without resonators

Stock airbox with k and n panel filter and stock tube
- with and without headlight duct

KKM intake with stock tube

If I can get ahold of a smooth intake tube I'll try that for each one too. I'll also try and track intake air temps to address the cold air question.

As far as driving style, I will keep it under 3000 rpms and use cruise control on the highway with a max speed of 65 mph. I will reurn my truck to stock tune and use 87 octane with 10 percent ethanol. I'll put my stock tires on and run them at 35 psi.

I'll post up what I find out
Posted via Mobile Device

Back