Intelligent Access Door Handle Not Working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intelligent Access Door Handle Not Working

Have tried posting the issue on an F-150 truck forum? Perhaps someone there may be familiar with the problem. I don't believe anyone with the issue has reported a fix. Most seem to have cleared themselves.

Peter
Thanks..I took your suggestion.. other F-150 owners have similar problems with the IA system locks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just noticed today that when I tried to open the passenger door, it wouldn't unlock. Walked over to the driver side and it unlocked and locked completely fine. Remote works fine, as do the interior lock functions. Everything looks fine in the dash settings, and tried both FOB's. Very strange as it worked a couple of days ago. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be? Searched the forum but couldn't find anything. Does this call for a trip to the dealer? Frustrating as my '18 only has about 500 km on it...

Thanks.
Had same issue on my 2016 EX. Driver side only affected. Took it to dealer who, after an hour and a half, said I needed new handle which would have to be ordered. Charged $119. Brought car back 2 weeks later when the door handle came in. At end of day, they said it was still not working. Apparently the passenger side had stopped working as well. Five days later it was finally fixed. Total charge $815, but Ford credited me $250. The following is cut and pasted from technician's report on my bill.

59080 verified concern checked passenger side again and found it
also inop checked for codes found codes b1381-15 and b1382-15 for
proximity sensor circuit ran oasis for concern nothing found went to
service man and to test x test xl test result yes doors lock and unlock
tox2 test result yes to x3 test result yes to x4 test result no no
voltage got x5 test result yes grater than 10,000 0hms to x6 test result
yes to x15 access guided routine to test f performed test f with ids
test results replace bcm replaced and programmed new bcm. and found
passenger door now works but driver still mop rechecked and found no
power at out side door handle checked wiring and found broken wire at
connector 3138 circuit vpk39 pin 17 repaired wire cleared codes and
verified repair rvc rp92d8lbfgku3

So now I am wondering if I really need a new handle. Did I really need a new BCM? Just praying it does not happen again.

I don't think you required a new handle. That is probably what the credit was for (part and installation).

Peter

Had same issue on my 2016 EX. Driver side only affected. Took it to dealer who, after an hour and a half, said I needed new handle which would have to be ordered. Charged $119. Brought car back 2 weeks later when the door handle came in. At end of day, they said it was still not working. Apparently the passenger side had stopped working as well. Five days later it was finally fixed. Total charge $815, but Ford credited me $250. The following is cut and pasted from technician's report on my bill.

So now I am wondering if I really need a new handle. Did I really need a new BCM? Just praying it does not happen again.

Looks like it's been awhile since this thread was active. My 2018 Explorer had never exhibited this behaviour until I moved to a place where for now, I cannot keep it in the garage. Worked fine for several months, it's reasonably warm and not a lot of rain down here. Now that it's been raining some, I have the issue. It only affects the passenger door, everything else works fine. I read this and other threads and tried the cleaning of the door handle and a couple of other things. It began working until it rained again. Weather fronts around here typically move in from the West and the Explorer is parked so the passenger side front door faces west. The door worked until it rained again.

Combine this with the unusual behavior of the door locks when using a car wash; as you move the wand along the door near where the handles are located, the door locks and mirrors cycle a number of times. I initially attributed this to the idea that maybe the pressure of the water from the spray wand was activating the door handle.

Now after having messed with this thing for a number of days, I found that I can make it work again just by drying things off and heading down the Freeway for a few miles to push the water away from the circuits. It's a water problem and from what I've seen on the forums, it's been that way for years. Why doesn't Ford come up with a better way to waterproof, or at least divert the water from the electronics of the mechanism?

Happened again. Think I will live with it.

Happened again. Think I will live with it.
I guess that I should have reported back on this issue. The dealer wanted it overnight. The first daycare they tried it establish whether or not there was water getting to any of the electrical components and they're found none.
They parked outside overnight and the door would not work. So they got it back into the shop and started checking circuits. While doing that, the door started working again.
They kept it overnight again, left it outside and in the morning the door would not work again. So the tech started checking circuits outside and found a slightly loose connector under the dash basically just behind the glove box. He pushed the ends of the two sides together and the door worked, let go of the connectors and it quit again.
Took it back inside the shop and after an hour or so, it started working again. He's checked the connectors which had been slightly loose and they were tight.
Conclusion; when the wiring/connectors warmed up they're swelled enough to close the gap and when chilled they shrank enough to pull the connectors slightly apart.
They did a bit of wire rerouting and put a zip tie on the connectors to keep them together. It worked fine from then until I traded it in on the new Aviator. Since I am an aircraft mechanic, I 'gotta give that tech of 'atta boys!

Looks like it's been awhile since this thread was active. My 2018 Explorer had never exhibited this behaviour until I moved to a place where for now, I cannot keep it in the garage. Worked fine for several months, it's reasonably warm and not a lot of rain down here. Now that it's been raining some, I have the issue. It only affects the passenger door, everything else works fine. I read this and other threads and tried the cleaning of the door handle and a couple of other things. It began working until it rained again. Weather fronts around here typically move in from the West and the Explorer is parked so the passenger side front door faces west. The door worked until it rained again.

Combine this with the unusual behavior of the door locks when using a car wash; as you move the wand along the door near where the handles are located, the door locks and mirrors cycle a number of times. I initially attributed this to the idea that maybe the pressure of the water from the spray wand was activating the door handle.

Now after having messed with this thing for a number of days, I found that I can make it work again just by drying things off and heading down the Freeway for a few miles to push the water away from the circuits. It's a water problem and from what I've seen on the forums, it's been that way for years. Why doesn't Ford come up with a better way to waterproof, or at least divert the water from the electronics of the mechanism?
Ford has issues with water penetration. I have your issue, along with sirius losing signal during, and after rain. During dry periods, its fine.

Ford has issues with water penetration. I have your issue, along with sirius losing signal during, and after rain. During dry periods, its fine.
All satellite signals be it TV or just radio, can be blocked by rain.

Just noticed today that when I tried to open the passenger door, it wouldn't unlock. Walked over to the driver side and it unlocked and locked completely fine. Remote works fine, as do the interior lock functions. Everything looks fine in the dash settings, and tried both FOB's. Very strange as it worked a couple of days ago. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue could be? Searched the forum but couldn't find anything. Does this call for a trip to the dealer? Frustrating as my '18 only has about 500 km on it...

Thanks.
Did you ever get an answear. We just bought our 18 and are having the same issue. With 3 kids we need both doors.

Did you ever get an answear. We just bought our 18 and are having the same issue. With 3 kids we need both doors.
Guessing it was a pre-owned vehicle? Did you get a warranty with it or is it still under the 3 year, 36k mile warranty?

Peter

Man, I am NOT going to go through the trouble of tracking down the cause of this issue and reporting it back here when people obviously cannor read or comprehend. I told them where to have the dealer look for the problem and they ignored it while still complaining.

Now I remember why I quit selling cars.....

Died again after yesterday's rain/slush and freeze. They're supposed to be replacing the BCM tomorrow, but somehow I think it's probably more related to the inners on the handle sensor itself than the BCM. But they are taking direction from Ford Engineering which is telling them the order of repair. We'll see what happens...

Can you give an update if the service department replaced the BCM and if it worked or not? We have a 2018 Ruby Red Explorer and it has been doing the same thing on the passenger side ever since we bought it in 2018.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
FYI, the member hasn't been seen here since June 18, 2019.

Peter

Died again after yesterday's rain/slush and freeze. They're supposed to be replacing the BCM tomorrow, but somehow I think it's probably more related to the inners on the handle sensor itself than the BCM. But they are taking direction from Ford Engineering which is telling them the order of repair. We'll see what happens...
Can you give an update if the service department replaced the BCM and if it worked or not? We have a 2018 Ruby Red Explorer and it has been doing the same thing on the passenger side ever since we bought it in 2018.
FYI, the member hasn't been seen here since June 18, 2019.

Peter
Thank you. I started a new thread.

I just had this issue this week. It was not the car battery or key fob battery. The fix was doing the hard reset on Sync. Soft reset did not work.

I just had this issue this week. It was not the car battery or key fob battery. The fix was doing the hard reset on Sync. Soft reset did not work.

Peter

Back