Drivers door Intelligent Access door handle not working | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drivers door Intelligent Access door handle not working

Welcome to the Forum.
Is it just the touch handle that isn't working? Can you still lock/unlock using the key fob and Securicode panel?

Peter
Thanks and yes every other method works to lock and unlock the door and even passenger side touch works just the driver side touch doesn’t work. I was going to attempt to take the handle loose and maybe clean it but couldn’t seem to find a good dyi instructions to do so and didn’t want to mess anything up attempting it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I new and searched the threads but seen where people discussed having the issue but no clear fix for the problem. We just bought a 2015 Explorer limited. When we first got it everything seemed to worked fine except the fan control on the Sony touch panel which I was told by ford dealership that it’s the touch panel that needs to be replaced. But anyway the driver side door IA was working fine now it has stopped and does nothing when you press the lock button or grab the handle the passenger side works fine just driver side. Any suggestions please this was one of the reason we went with the vehicle over others and now it doesn’t work and is very annoying.
We don’t have any type of warranty. Any luck on a fix? Thanks in advance.
Same for me only on the passenger side. Just started recently. Did you get a resolution? This is a really nice feature and I will get it fixed.

Same for me only on the passenger side. Just started recently. Did you get a resolution? This is a really nice feature and I will get it fixed.
No I haven’t and have had three dealerships look at it and the handle replaced once and still haven’t found a solution. Please let me know if your able to find a solution. Thanks

I found this here. I found a couple of posts that people had swapped the handles to no avail. We tried with both fobs near the handle and the handle is completely dead. Someone also reported that the heated mirror on the same side didn't work either. I only have 27k on the clock so maybe it's age issue not mileage. Always garaged. I'll be in touch for sure.

Bit of an older thread but since my 2018 Explorer Platinum suffered the same issue with the passenger side door IA operation being intermittent. Been to the dealer a couple of times but same old "cannot duplicate problem" was all I got. Finally here about two weeks ago, I got up one morning and it had quit again. Took it back to the dealer and the CS rep was able to see that it didn't work. I took it back yesterday for trouble shooting and service. They were finally able to duplicate the problem; cold. When the car was warmed up the door worked, after sitting outside overnight, it didn't work. They had it for two days but finally found a loose connection under the dash. Get it warm and the pieces swelled enough to make a connection. Get it cold and they'd contract to where there was no connection.
For whatever it's worth, maybe it'll help someone else.

Bit of an older thread but since my 2018 Explorer Platinum suffered the same issue with the passenger side door IA operation being intermittent. Been to the dealer a couple of times but same old "cannot duplicate problem" was all I got. Finally here about two weeks ago, I got up one morning and it had quit again. Took it back to the dealer and the CS rep was able to see that it didn't work. I took it back yesterday for trouble shooting and service. They were finally able to duplicate the problem; cold. When the car was warmed up the door worked, after sitting outside overnight, it didn't work. They had it for two days but finally found a loose connection under the dash. Get it warm and the pieces swelled enough to make a connection. Get it cold and they'd contract to where there was no connection.

Same car, same problem. I've had so few issues with mine I have no problem taking it to a dealership to fix it. Mine failed in the Texas heat.

I found this here. I found a couple of posts that people had swapped the handles to no avail. We tried with both fobs near the handle and the handle is completely dead. Someone also reported that the heated mirror on the same side didn't work either. I only have 27k on the clock so maybe it's age issue not mileage. Always garaged. I'll be in touch for sure.

Threads have been merged.

Peter

My Pax side handle would work intermittently. I noticed it would not work after I started work from home and the Exp sat for a few days without starting. After driving and recharging the battery fully, the handle would work for a few days before becoming inop again until another trip to charge up the battery. So at least on mine, the Pax handle will only work with a fully charged battery.

My Pax side handle would work intermittently. I noticed it would not work after I started work from home and the Exp sat for a few days without starting. After driving and recharging the battery fully, the handle would work for a few days before becoming inop again until another trip to charge up the battery. So at least on mine, the Pax handle will only work with a fully charged battery.
Hi Michael. Although that seems to work for you, it doesn't sound as if that is the way it should be. Why just the one side and not the other? When I had my 2017 Platinum, the battery would be low quite often due to not driving or only making several short trips and I never had issues with the intelligent access feature. The same was true when I had the low battery message on the screen. I did have an issue with the driver's side once. I made an appointment to have it looked at and then a short time after making the call, it started working again and never had any further issues. :dunno:

Peter

My p.s. handle won't work at all with the IA access, d.s. works fine. P.s. only works with fob lock unlock or interior lock buttons. Won't work when just grabbing the p.s. door handle to open or tap to lock. 2019 with 34k miles.

Just started doing it last week.🤬😡 Got new fob batteries arriving today to see if that's it, but very doubtful.

No luck with the new battery for the IA fob.

I went out after replying in the thread and it worked fine. The batteries in the fobs are at least 2 years old so I'm replacing them this week. When the issue first started I did try it with both fobs right next to the handle and neither of them worked. It's working now. My wife says it's aliens, I'm going with gremlins. I'll be sure to have video next time.

What do I look for or need to replace in order to get the p.s. IA handle to function properly? Anyone know.... TIA

What do I look for or need to replace in order to get the p.s. IA handle to function properly? Anyone know.... TIA
Has it been longer than 3 years since it was first put into service? Your dealer should be able to find that out since you bought it used. You're still under the factory warranty mileage wise.

Peter

Has it been longer than 3 years since it was first put into service? Your dealer should be able to find that out since you bought it used. You're still under the factory warranty mileage wise.

Peter
I'm not sure Peter when it was put into service. If it's a inexpensive part I'd rather diy than deal with a trip to the dealer, it's such a pita.

I'm not sure Peter when it was put into service. If it's a inexpensive part I'd rather diy than deal with a trip to the dealer, it's such a pita.
It doesn't seem that anyone in this thread has found the answer or for that matter, the cause. One talked about the wiring harness, another discovered his has to do with the temperature which to me indicates a connection issue.

Peter

Thanks I'm Going to remove the door handle this weekend and see what maybe going on, if the door handle randomly died.

So this happened this morning. I’m in Houston this weekend and I was at the store early, it was about 80f. I came out with my hands full of course and I tried to use the foot swipe to open the rear lift gate. Nothing. Pushed the button, nothing. Walked to the driver door , handle is dead. So I put everything down and pulled my phone out of my front pocket to make a video and the locks started working. The fob was in the same front pocket as the phone. Coincidence? If not it’s plenty weird. It’s an iPhone 10r.

So this happened this morning. I’m in Houston this weekend and I was at the store early, it was about 80f. I came out with my hands full of course and I tried to use the foot swipe to open the rear lift gate. Nothing. Pushed the button, nothing. Walked to the driver door , handle is dead. So I put everything down and pulled my phone out of my front pocket to make a video and the locks started working. The fob was in the same front pocket as the phone. Coincidence? If not it’s plenty weird. It’s an iPhone 10r.
If I recall correctly, I had the same issue once when I had my phone in the pocket next to where I keep the fob. I don't usually keep my phone in that pocket but did that day.

Peter

Now all of a sudden this weekend the p.s. IA door handle started working normally. I give up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Everyone, I own a 2019 Ford Explorer Limited with 61,000 miles. The driver side intelligent lock has stopped working. I replaced the batteries in the key fob but with zero results. The key fob works fine, the passenger door and hatch proximity/intelligent lock works, any suggestions please let me know.

Back