Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intercooling the 4.0 ohv/sohc with Ford Supercouper M90

I figured I better start a new thread, as my old thread goes on forever detailing my 4.0 ohv M90 install, motor rebuild (Funny thing about that), etc. Here's the original thread that brought me to this point: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345617

The issue I am currently having with my M90 install is that I am attempting to increase boost, but cant get the intake charge cool enough. I tried water/meth and had limited results. James with Henson performance just cant do anything more with the tuning till iat's come down.

So, Ron at RPCaster (Building an intercooler for me), and Tim (Vroomzoomboom) who is going to perform some magic on a hood cowl (It was either that, or a body lift to get the additional height for the intercooler). These are the two components I am not able to do myself.

I have detailed logs of my iat's, and am going to do a dyno session before and after install. This will give some great real world numbers.

I'll detail the whole thing as I go (The good, the bad, and the ugly).

For starters. Here is what Just came in the mail.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    Winnipeg-20130410-00150.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 1,140

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have an A/F gauge? Looking forward to your solution and DYNO tune. Enough with this remote tuning nonsense. It's gonna blow your motor.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Yes, Ive been using a a/f gauge with the logs James has been getting. He wouldn't tune my setup without it.
I guess my concern with having someone besides James tune my motor is that no one really knows this motor. Last year I called around, and no one even wanted to touch the tuning of it.

he's right on that. NOBODY knows how to tune anything up here, unless its a 5L mustang, or a BBC

That stinks. An experienced 5.0 tuner should be able to work with an obd2 ohv. I base tune by checking plugs and listening to the motor. But then again I don't have the complications of FI. Keep the updates a comin.

Honestly, I have absolutely confidence in James tuning. If he felt he couldn't remote tune via data logs, he would let me know that I need to take it to a dyno for tuning.
He did have my truck running with near perfect air fuel ratios with the 3.2 inch pulley. I just had to go for more boost, and that meant more heat. That's when the difficulties started. There are certain things that can be fixed by tuning, and some things that can't. My iats are a physical issue that can't be tuned out.

Honestly, I have absolutely confidence in James tuning. If he felt he couldn't remote tune via data logs, he would let me know that I need to take it to a dyno for tuning.
He did have my truck running with near perfect air fuel ratios with the 3.2 inch pulley. I just had to go for more boost, and that meant more heat. That's when the difficulties started. There are certain things that can be fixed by tuning, and some things that can't. My iats are a physical issue that can't be tuned out.

Agreed. Even tho he hasn't done any tuning for me I feel he is the best around for almost any ford truck.their is pros and cons to both ways of tuning, either way some sort of data logging seems to be best but for highest hp numbers a dyno tune has to be part of it.just what i've read, know very little about tuning:salute:

Exhaust

Have you opened up the exhaust on this truck?
Just wondering because there were some restrictions in the OEM exhaust system.

It's opened up. Headers dump in to a single high flow 2.5" cat, and back to a resonator and zero restriction muffler.

Ron was busy this weekend. He's well on his way. It certainly does look like this could be a perfect add on to the Banshee supercharger kit.

Unfortunately, I didn't get anything done on my truck. Between fixing a dead clothes washer, and my wifes car, and working I couldn't find the time or energy.

I will have to get busy though, as the intake intercooler will be here before I know it.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 308

Here's a pic showing the top.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 423

Don, I must say I am envious of your setup with that intercooler. My JBAs went in yesterday after about 4hrs of question why I decided to take apart my truck. Butt dyno says headers fixed some things. Do you have a drawing of how this thing is supposed to sit? I can see quite a bit of height being added.

I'm kinda curious about how he is gonna be able to get an air tight seal around the pipes with that type of setup.

I'm kinda curious about how he is gonna be able to get an air tight seal around the pipes with that type of setup.

I think mines is sealed with high tork grey rtv.I think

Yes, I think we are all curious on how the seal is going to be around the pipes. I think this part was where Ron had to do some thinking. He did email be that he had it figured out.

Phix, the M90 is going up 2 1'2 inches. So, this includes the throttle body. There's going to be some cutting of the hood. I don't think I would be doing this if it wasn't for Tim. Im going to be learning something also.
Great to hear the headers are in Phix! Did you retain erg? That's the real battle. I gave up on mine.

Yes, I think we are all curious on how the seal is going to be around the pipes. I think this part was where Ron had to do some thinking. He did email be that he had it figured out.

Phix, the M90 is going up 2 1'2 inches. So, this includes the throttle body. There's going to be some cutting of the hood. I don't think I would be doing this if it wasn't for Tim. Im going to be learning something also.
Great to hear the headers are in Phix! Did you retain erg? That's the real battle. I gave up on mine.

How's the hood coming? Did james tune out the egr? Could have lead to increase temps also, people say it helps cool but I never belived it

I had so many issues with my egr. The final straw was getting it to mate to the headers properly. My reading told me (right or wrong, who knows?) that on odb2 egr was only recirculating exhaust gas under light load.
Also, loosing that egr line made room for mounting my coil. It was a good move getting rid of it for me.

We haven't started the hood. We wanted to be able to mount the intercooler, and then just cut the hood where we have to. Then, Ill pull the intercooler till the hoods done. Its going to be all about what Tim can fit in. I think hes pretty busy for the next while.

I had so many issues with my egr. The final straw was getting it to mate to the headers properly. My reading told me (right or wrong, who knows?) that on odb2 egr was only recirculating exhaust gas under light load.
Also, loosing that egr line made room for mounting my coil. It was a good move getting rid of it for me.

We haven't started the hood. We wanted to be able to mount the intercooler, and then just cut the hood where we have to. Then, Ill pull the intercooler till the hoods done. Its going to be all about what Tim can fit in. I think hes pretty busy for the next while.

Never had an egr so just wondering. Cant wait to see what you and tim come up with, also waiting to see how you mount that front cooler.going to copy it for my ranger;)

Intercooler

That looks awesome. Ron is a genius!
I cant wait to see pictures of it installed. Your truck is going to be awesome!
Have you thought about picking up a junkyard hood so you can keep the original in one piece? Cant wait to see the hole in the hood also, take a picture with the SC sticking through if you can.

Yes, Tim has a couple of hoods laying around. I will definitely get a few pics of the SC poking thru the hood. Might look pretty bad ass. Of course, it might look wimpy too. Wont know till some pictures go up.

Tim's plan is to use a gen 2 hood to cut up to make the cowl. This way, the body lines will match up. Tim makes it sound like its no big deal, but Im sure theres some real labour involved.

for the hood i have a few ideas. one of them is to cut the tops off both fender, then weld them to the top of the hood. that way there will be a natural body curve to it both on the sides, and where it meets the top part of the cowl. or the other is to just cut patterns, and weld them to the sides. i want to make it so the cowl part comes up slowly. will have to see when time comes, till then ideas will float around. that and i have to ask don what he wants, its his truck after all, and what i might like, he might not. we will use the hood from one of my parts trucks. ironically, the same truck we used the block from for dons motor rebuild. cant really do anything till we know how high the intercooler will make everything sit. until last week, i had forgotten about his throttle body side. if it wasnt for that, i could make a nice narrow cowl, but once again, we will have to see were it sits. i figure it may take about 2 weeks or so to make the hood. as well as, i am going to try and leave as much as the bracing intact as possible. as for being busy, its a understatement. i am changing motors in a truck i bought to resell at the moment, then in the first week of june, i am headed to all ford nationals, in carlisle, pa (shameless plug http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378609) and the web site http://www.carlisleevents.com/events/ford-nationals/. so before i head there, i need to get evil in shape (and it looks like hell right now), and tuned as well. then drive 27 hours one way to meet up with some other nutty members from here, so yea, i figure if i dont sleep a few days here, and there, i should be good.

Back