Interesting find. 1994 Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interesting find. 1994 Explorer Sport

Ynot2691

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer sport
So I'm poking around under the trim in the left rear of the vehicle this morning. I find this control module encased in a plastic box forward of the rear tire with a label that says "property of Ford motor company product development. Do not open box: 11/93" Of course I opened the box and found a control module and a buttload of wiring. Oddly enough there it was, an OBD2 connector. I got out my scanner and plugged it in. It identified itself as a 1996 special build vehicle. Full data stream, a buttload of trouble codes dating back to 1994. It had a menu to change the parameters of certain sensors. I drove to the local Ford dealer and showed them what I found. They were a little lost at first but after a few phone calls they asked me to drop it off Monday so they could remove the module. For my trouble Ford was prepared to give me $2500. I told them $2500 and replace the motor mounts on the house while it's here. After another phone call, they agreed. They even pre paid me the $2500. Me and the new girlfriend fly out in an hour for a Las Vegas weekend trip.
I can't help but wonder why they want a nearly 30 year old module back so bad. But for $2500 I don't really care.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Funny story. Any pics of the module?

oh snap everyone go check their old explorers for that module!!

There was a similar story like that recently with the new broncos. The factory left some sort of line test equipment in the back of a new bronco.
Too bad if you didn't get pics of it. Id love to know what that was for. Im sure there is proprietary software on it that they don't want getting out for some reason.

send it to mars with Elon

we need pics!! I hope I never crushed one of these boxes

Pictures or it didn't happen.:pics:

It contains the GPS coordinates to Area 51

Uncle Roger say without peekture…
3690C0FF-E1DD-4F4B-8A24-495788AF7786.gif

Must have really turned that $2500 into something big in Vegas…

Set the B.S alert to defcon level 5

dead thread revival (i know) but @Ynot2691 did you hit it big in Vegas? :D all vegas jokes aside, im curious about this module! did you ever get a resolution? or just moved to vegas🤣

I'll take things that never happened for 1,000, Alex...

Legend has it that he is still at a table in Las Vegas to this very day…

Legend has it that he is still at a table in Las Vegas to this very day…
That would be more impressive than the vaporware he is claiming to have possessed at one point. $2,500 doesn't normally last that many years in Vegas.

That would be more impressive than the vaporware he is claiming to have possessed at one point. $2,500 doesn't normally last that many years in Vegas.
He rolled a 10 on Luck when he built his character.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back