interior lights and dash | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

interior lights and dash

i recently wired blue leds in my footwells and swapped my puddle lights for blue leds. so i was wondering if someone could tell me the bulb size of the interior lights by the rear view mirror in between the driver and pass seat(im sorry i dont know the proper name) and how to remove the plastic case, is it glued like the puddle lights? i would also like to swap my dash speedo/rpms lights to blue leds i dont think mine have the green tint. can someone tell me the best bulb size/brand possibly a link for these lights because looking around it seems like most bulbs dont light evenly. im sorry if this question has been asked before i looked around a bit and found some stuff but still a litle confused. i have a 2002 explorer limited v8 thank you.

try sylvania dot com

02 FORD Explorer

Low beam headlamp
9006SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9006EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
9006XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9006CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

High beam headlamp
9005SU Silverstar ULTRA for Ultra Night Vision - The Whitest and Brightest Halogen
9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
9005EB EcoBright - Your Environmental Choice
9005XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
9005CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light
3157NALL
3157AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Front turn signal
3157NALL
3157AST Silverstar Signal Lighting: Complete the Look: Crisp, Clean, Style

Rear turn signal
3157LL

Tail light
3157LL

Stop light
3157LL

High mount stop light
2825LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Fog/Driving light
9145ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen

License plate
168LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Back up light
3156LL

Map light

Dome light

Step/Courtesy light
168LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Trunk/Cargo area

If you have the same dash lights as the second generation, they are a 194 bulb. If you want to replace them, you could purchase LED's for them by searching e-bay for "194 5SMD-LED" then find the color you want. I do not see your dashlight bulbs listed above, and I have no clue if you have the same type.

I found that but I don't know what the dome light and map light is. Plus the dash lights and instructions if possible

You would have to dismantle the dashboard to get at the back side of the cluster. Again, if it is set up like the second generation explorers (I am not sure that it is since I have not worked on a 3rd gen) the bulbs and holder will twist out of the cluster. The rest is simple remove/replace the bulbs and holders. Have you tried the search? I think I saw a thread about dash removal...

The Dome light (bulb #578) is the light on the roof of your explorer (general cabin lighting), the map lights (also bulb #578) have their own switch and would be one light that shines on your lap (or the passengers) and turned on by its own switch.

Hope this helps

Back