• Register Today It's free!

Interior Lights won't turn off?

alexk

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Limited
I have a 2002 xlt v8, the interior lights will not turn off when I get out unless I manually shut them off via the switch next to the exterior lights. I can keep doing that but it would be nice to have them do it by themselves. Any solutions?

They will turn off once I turn the car on but once it turn it off they stay on.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They're supposed to stay on for a little while...how long have you been waiting?

The longest I have waited was 5 mintutes. I havent wanted to wait any longer than that so I dont drain the battery.

not sure but it could be one of your door lock/latch needs to be lubed..because if it is saying you have a door open it will cut on the lights so you can see getting out at night!, i would try some good liquid wrench brand silicone lubricant (spray) and liberally (obama liberally) spray it all in your latches :D see if that does anything......

Thanks Patrick I will try that. Idk if it would make a difference but there is no warning light saying a door is open.

Thanks Patrick I will try that. Idk if it would make a difference but there is no warning light saying a door is open.

alrighttt hm then that may not be it... my 03 had the door ajar light on in the dash and the lights would stay on, until i lubed the locks, opened and shut tem a few times, and that fixed it.....its worth a shot right? wd40 may work 2

Alright thanks, Im gonna go out now and try the WD40 its worth a shot. If not I guess I will just take it to the dealer later, I can live with it now but its annoying getting in when its dark.

Well I just went out and put some WD on them and I realized the door ajar light doesnt work!! lol The lights didnt shut when I locked it but Im letting them sit for a minute.

Thanks for the help.

It worked!!! Thanks so much!! The dealer I bought it from was great so Im sure they can grease them for me with the proper stuff.

It worked!!! Thanks so much!! The dealer I bought it from was great so Im sure they can grease them for me with the proper stuff.

haha nice!!!! :thumbsup: :D im gonna tell you the stuff we use at the dealership is high quality stuff, but its like cologn, expensive, and you only get about 2 oz..... any silicone spray should get the job done :)

Well if they are going to charge me Ill just save my money and spray it with the WD every couple weeks.

I had the same problem on my '04 and took it into the dealership under extended warranty. It was there for 2 weeks before they could figure out what was wrong with it. They had to pull the whole dash apart..

^^^ Really? The WD worked for about a day under heavy use but then it started again. I know its definatly a door because when I put the key in it dings over and over. Im pretty sure it may be the driver door, I have a friend at an autobody shop who is going to try and get me some of the proper grease.

Back