• Register Today It's free!

interior lights

schipwrk

Reaction score
City, State
Westbrook,Ct.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer eddy b
i have a 98 Eddie B......does anyone know how to shut off the inside lights while the back hatchback door is open? I sit back there while fishing and don't need the extra lights on...there doesn't seem to be a pushbutton switch of any type. The lights do go off, themself, after a half hr or so....any suggestions??.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be two ways available to you(I am not sure about one)

1. After the hatch is up, simply close the little metal striker on the hatch (the thing that locks on the pin that is on the body of the X) and the light will go off.

2. I think it started in 98 or so, roll your dash dimmer switch all the way down and it should turn off all the interior lights....It might only be on 99+'s though...

Yes, your interior dimmer switch may have a full "off" position.

When I go camping, I just pull the fuse; it's number 27 in the interior fuse panel. This does disable some other circuits, but I just put the fuse back in before I start the truck up again.

Thanks....I never got a owners manual and now that I have you guy's....I probably won't bother....My dimer switch for the dash lights does go all the way down and clicks shutting off the lights.....Thanks again..

disconect the battery
or pull the fuse

Originally posted by Alec
Yes, your interior dimmer switch may have a full "off" position.

When I go camping, I just pull the fuse; it's number 27 in the interior fuse panel. This does disable some other circuits, but I just put the fuse back in before I start the truck up again.

We recently found out the hard way that fuse 27 does more than just interior lights. On my dad's '97 4x4 XLT, it also manages some controls to the GEM, including certain aspects of the transfer case! We were on the beach at Hatteras and when it came time to leave, he promptly got stuck with only the rear tire spinning. I had my TJ on the beach and was able to extract him and get him pointing so he could get some momentum toward the ramp. He made it out fine, and hasn't had any other problems since, but I think the suggestion to reinstall #27 BEFORE starting is mandatory if you have 4wd.

-tw

Back