• Register Today It's free!

Interior Rattle – 2013 Limited

Tampa01

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
I’ve got a rattle over my left shoulder (while sitting in driver’s seat). Appears to be coming from the area just above the panel marked “airbag” which is located above where the driver's side seat belt attaches to the vehicle. The rattle is pretty constant while driving down the road.

Wondering if anyone else currently has this rattle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recall someone having a noise similar to this and it turned out to be a wire harness near the headliner that had slipped out of its clip, or something like that ;) Been a while since I read that.

I think that was me. I did have an interior rattle, mine was coming from the headliner area somewhere behind the driver seat and around the second row seating. Mine was a rattle combined with a high pitched jiggle at times, mainly over rough roads. They tore the headliner apart and re-attached the wires that run through the roof area, it hasn't made a noise since, the repair worked very well in this case.

Loose wiring harnesses tend to be a common source of noise as it moves against the headliner. Sometimes pressing your hand against the headliner in the noisy area can help with determining the location.
On a humorous note, I had a noise which seemed to eminate from the driver side lower A-pillar of a former car. Turned out that my metal watch band was the culprit.

I just got my Ex back from the dealership after I reported a rattle coming from the passenger seat.

I thought it was in the headrest DVD unit but they tracked it down to the passenger seat rails. The service order makes mention of an upgraded part in the seat rail.

So I'm not sure if this was a known issue that they had already redesigned a part for, but just heads up for anyone with a rattle on the passenger side.

I’ve got a rattle over my left shoulder (while sitting in driver’s seat)...
Tampa01,

I have your Explorer’s details from previous messages; please drop a line via PM and I’ll arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region.

I recall someone having a noise similar to this and it turned out to be a wire harness near the headliner that had slipped out of its clip, or something like that ;)...
I think that was me. I did have an interior rattle, mine was coming from the headliner area somewhere behind the driver seat and around the second row seating...it hasn't made a noise since, the repair worked very well in this case.
...On a humorous note, I had a noise which seemed to eminate from the driver side lower A-pillar of a former car. Turned out that my metal watch band was the culprit.
I just got my Ex back from the dealership after I reported a rattle coming from the passenger seat...I thought it was in the headrest DVD unit but they tracked it down to the passenger seat rails...
VinceL, JFUSION, scotted73, & Sgt1411,

Are you sure you didn’t just forget to feed the mice? ;)

Cory

Check the coat hanger hook right behind your left ear, mine was rattling and once tightened it was quite.

Dropped my Ex at the dealer this morning. I discovered if I applied a little pressure with my hand to the headliner area just above the panel marked "airbag" the rattle stopped.

Back