Interior Rust in 2007 Sport Trac XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Rust in 2007 Sport Trac XLT

HAWK99GT

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer ST XLT V8
Hello, I'm new to the community here.
I just recently purchased a black 2007 Sport Trac V8.
Bought from the dealer used (obiviously) with 59k miles on it. Exterior is good shape, paint still looks new, drives very sweet. I also own a 03 ST which still runs and looks great. Let my son use it now. I had my mechanic look it over and he said it was pretty sound. The only thing he was concerned with was the rust he found on the drive shaft towards the front and the back. He also discovered inside the cab that the rubber floor looked new but all the metal underneath the dash and chairs had alot of rust. The rear head rests have surface rust on the chrome shafts, but not the front seats.
Carfax report showed no history of accidents or floods.
The dealer has given me only 60 days warrenty on this vehicle so I've been very proactive in pointing out all my issues to them.
I've already had them replace the radiator and rear center brake light due to a leak in the radiator and bulbs being burnt out.
I'm bringing it back to the dealer next week for a few odds and ends. But I wanted to know if anyone had similar experiance with the rust, and what could possibly be done about it. Anything would be great.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My truck has surface rust under the dash and seats... No water damage, just what happens... I looked at alot of sport tracs b4 I bought this one and they all had the same thing. Mines an 07

thanks for the responce. I had no frame of comparison, other than my '03, which has none in comparison. My 07 doesn't have the optional rear power window like the '03 to blame it on for leaks. Hopefully others will let me know the same so i won't worry as much. Other that so far, love the truck. Way nicer ride than my '03

You get a lot of surface rust underneath. Mostly not a big deal, the metal is pretty thick. Also you live in FL where it's pretty wet and humid. I got my '08 new and put a cat-back exhaust on when it was all of 3 months old and the OE pipes and muffler were already covered in rust. Where you need to watch for rust on Explorers and Rangers (I've had several) is the door skin and tailgate seams and the radiator support. Stop that rust as fast as you can if you see it.

Best thing to do with surface rust is to cover it with POR-15 paint. My daughter has a Jeep and POR-15 is a required option. Put on some long gloves and buy some cheap paint brushes to throw away when you're done. If you get it on your skin and don't clean it off with acetone within 5 minutes, it will be there for two weeks. I know this.

Thanks for the input and suggestion :D

'What I've discovered is that most of the previously used ss 's is that most at one time or another have had the third break light leak. Which is why i have interior rust on my rear head rests shafts and a ceiling that is sagging. Hopefully Ford will be fixing it as i write this. It is in the shop right now for some odds and ends, one being the interior roof . The other my transmission.
They only gave me 60 days warranty on this purchase. So I will be haunting them till everything I can find wrong is fixed.

'What I've discovered is that most of the previously used ss 's is that most at one time or another have had the third break light leak. Which is why i have interior rust on my rear head rests shafts and a ceiling that is sagging. Hopefully Ford will be fixing it as i write this. It is in the shop right now for some odds and ends, one being the interior roof . The other my transmission.
They only gave me 60 days warranty on this purchase. So I will be haunting them till everything I can find wrong is fixed.

My 07 had a leaky 3rd brake light and the dealer said it was a known issue and that there is a solution they put a thicker gasket on the light and no leaks since.........BUT they did it for a "preferred" customer for ONLY $154.....:eek:

Yes its funny when i put my 07 in for warranty work last week, one of the items I listed was that my 3rd break light wasn't working. So they replaced the whole thing. Hasn't leaked for me and I've washed the truck a few times since.

Back