• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent charge light

Goldey loxx

Reaction score
City, State
Glen burnie md
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 ford explorer limited
My charge light intermittently comes on at all kinds of random times mostly while the truck is being driven, when im pulling off from a stop light/sign, when i open the throttle, when i let off the throttle, when my automatic headlights come on and when they turn off. It will make my radio turn off and back on again and it will dim my headlights as well. I've replaced the alternator 3 times already, replaced the connector to the alternator, ive checked all the grounds in the engine bay and ive tested the battery so many times. When i am putting my windows up or down it will make the battery light come on and will also dim my lights making me think its a load capacity issuse. Before the truck started acting like this i did jump start my cousins truck with my truck. Could i have fried something in the PCM? Has anyone else had an issue like this before? Its been like this for about a year and a half now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

voltage regulator?

welcome to EF!

I'm going to go ahead and guess that your truck has no trouble cranking. In which case, my initial guess (if you have done all those things) is that your power feed into your main fuse box under the hood is weak (corroded, loose, internally compromised), since all of the things you mention draw off of that junction. Especially if you hooked your jumper cables to the feed wire to the box. Try connecting a jumper cable from the battery to the box over the main box feed cable and see if the issues go away. Also, loosen and retighten the bolt that connects the cable there.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that your truck has no trouble cranking. In which case, my initial guess (if you have done all those things) is that your power feed into your main fuse box under the hood is weak (corroded, loose, internally compromised), since all of the things you mention draw off of that junction. Especially if you hooked you jumper cables to the feed wire to the box. Try connecting a jumper cable from the battery to the box over the main box feed cable and see if the issues go away. Also, loosen and retighten the bolt that connects the cable there.
Yes absolutely no trouble cranking. I will try that, thank you

Fingers crossed. Let us know if you get it figured out.

Back