Intermittent left front turn signal problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent left front turn signal problem

bmcneely0

Reaction score
City, State
Clover, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2017 Ford Explorer and for the past year or so I’ve had a problem with the left front turn signal. When I use the right turn signal I have no problems. However, it seems that in very warm (< 20 degrees F or >95 degrees F) when I use the left turn signal, the rear turn signal indicator works but the front turn signal does not and inside the vehicle the left turn signal indicator flashes fast indicating a problem. I’ve had my mechanic look at it and at first they said said it was a connection problem and put something on the connection to make it better. This worked for a while and then stopped. Next they replaced some kind of pigtail connector. This worked for a while and now has stopped working. It also seems to consistently happen in very cold or very hot temperatures as noted earlier. I looked at this post which seemed like an option but it was for a 2003. So I didn’t know if it would still apply to a 2017 and also both of theirs were intermittently out and mine is consistantly the left front turn signal. Any ideas on what else it could be? Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum bmcneely0. :wave:
The next time it happens, try the 4-way flashers and see if that bulb works or remains OFF.

Peter

Thanks very much for the suggestions. The problem persisted the whole way home. Then after I got home and read these posts I went out to give it a try and the problem didn’t manifest. I’ll wait until it does and see what happens. Thanks again.

Just wanted to provide an update. Took the car back to the mechanic and explained how it seemed related to extreme heat or cold that caused something to expand or contract. They said it was a case of both situation. They secured the pigtail because they said it wasn’t fully secured could lose connectivity and they also said the light bulb was loose so they secured it. They said after taking these steps they tried shaking the light bulb and the pigtail in an effort to make the problem manifest but couldn’t. So we’ll see how thing go if we have another cold snap or when it gets super hot next summer. But for now, it’s working again.

Back