• Register Today It's free!

Intermittent no-start *RESOLVED*

Elcapper

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0L
Well, I don't want to jump the gun here but I figured I might as well write this up now. I had an intermittent starting issue for the last two years which I have posted a few times in here. It seemed like it was worse when the temp outside was hotter. It would crank but not fire. Or it would crank and try to fire and then die. When it was doing that I could usually hit the gas or throttle and it would start.

After replacing the camshaft sensor, crankshaft sensor, fuel filter, plugs, wires, relays (PCM, Fuel Filter), IAC, cleaned the MAF, tested MAF, tested TPS, tested fuel pressure, I was at my wits end.

Took it into the shop this week. They ran tests and didn't find anything and couldn't replicate the no-start (it doesn't happen that often). I lucked out that it didn't start when I went to pick it up. After another day of diagnosis, they determined that the computer was glitchy and not running the IAC correctly all the time, creating a flooding situation, thus flooring the gas when trying to start cleared out the flood and allowed it to start.

New computer is supposed to be in today, so I'll hopefully know for sure that this resolves it, but it sounds similar to what I was thinking thus replacing the IAC.

Anyway, thought this might be helpful to put on here since the intermittent no starts can be a b$tch to figure out sometimes. I'll update if it turns out they need to do more.

Thanks for all the help over the last two years! Wish I could answer other posts but I still don't know a whole lot.

Back