• Register Today It's free!

iPhone Help

aabgtb

Reaction score
City, State
Laurens, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT
I have an 05XLT, factory stereo...I have no audio experience but would like to play my iPhone through the stereo. I have tried one of the devices that sends the music through a radio station but if never seems to be consistent. I don't know anything about stereos and was going to take it a shop and have them install a new radio that would allow me to plug the iPhone. Two questions:

1) Could I buy a plug that would connect the existing stereo (factory) to the iPhone.

2) If not, any recommendations on a stereo (primary use is to play music from the iPhone)

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could buy a cassette adapter. It will play through the cassestte player and plug into the headphone jack on the phone. If your wanting a whole new stereo then just about any new stereos out have the AUX port for playing ipods and stuff and some even have the ipod controls. Here is a nice cd player with the iphone controls and it has a usb port for a flash drive and the AUX port. Remote and it can change mutiple colors.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-KD-R610-USB-CD-Receiver-w-Front-AUX/13806337

If you dont care about lower quality, then go for a cassette adapter as mentioned above. Cheap, fast, easy.

I personally am crazy about my music and its sound quality, so I would opt for the aftermarket deck. It will have more features over stock, more exapndability, and most of them now have FULL iPod/iPhone control, with the dock adapter that even charges it while you listen, and you'll have full control on the radio, rather than messing with the iPod when you wanna switch songs.

Theres a million and a half options headunit wise, anything from 50$ nowadays, to over $2k. If you might consider this, then id be more than happy to show you a few headunits you might like.

It will of course require a dash kit, and wiring harness, but both can be had for under 25$ online, or a reputable car audio shop. Installation should take a beginner an hour or so, VERY easy.

which radio do you have?
Do you have the Rear DVD player?
Steering wheel controls?

I'd second the PIE kits, can't beat the sound, but if you have any of the above it might make it difficult.

I also recommend the Pie the adapter. We added one to our 06 mustang since Ford didn't have an input for it until 2007. The sound quality is about as good as you can get from MP3. We rip our music at 320k bitrate so it still sounds good.

The only issue we have with ours is once in a while (about once every 6 months) the head unit forgets the Pie adapter is there. Its a known issue with the Mustangs and the somewhat early Pie adapters. All I do to fix it is pull the fuse to the Pie adapter head unit and all is fine.

~Mark

EDIT: I almost forgot, we have the Aux input from Pie since we don't use our Iphones as Ipods.. We actually use a Zune.

Look around in Walmart for a dual headunit. I got mine for $50 and it has cd/amfm/auxillary/and a USB charge port. If you look in my explorers car domain, there's a picture of it hooked up.

Back