Is $650 a good deal for this Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is $650 a good deal for this Explorer?

1992fordgreen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Inside the Rehabilitation Center
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 SC400 92 SC400 96 Ex
Hey Serious Explorations
I saw a 1995 Ford Explorer Sport for $650 OBO. He said it ran, and it would be 4 WD if the transfer case is broken. Is this a good deal? Is it worth it to spend 600 G's on this plus another 200 or so (I would DIY) so would it be worth it?
Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have access to parts and the rest of the truck is in decent shape it is worth it in my opinion. Just make sure it has a clean title, no knocks in the engine and check for other issues like tires, bad interior, rust, body or frame damage. The resale value on these are not that high, so $650 for a broken one isnt a bad deal as long as it wont cost a fortune to get it on the road.

I picked up my '98 Sport with 222,000 kms on the clock for $700!

Everything works except for the radio, which is no big deal.

Found a set of 31" tires for $300, and just got Ranchos for the front, Monroe SensaTracs for the rear AND some Warrior 153's all for about $250.

So I'm into it for $1,250 total and have a wicked winter rig!

i picked up my 93 limited with 115k with no rust for $350 last year

Another Explorer i spotted, was a 1992 sport. It was red, both exterior door handles were broken, the rear window was broken out, but she had it sealed with plastic, interior was good, exterior was good, all of it was 800 firm. I'm not gonna pay 800 for it B/C she said the tranny needed a flush, and I assume the tranny is crapping out. this one is really close to me, would 500 be worth it?

FYI, I had purchased a 1992 Explorer XLT for 600 and drove it home on 3 cylinders. A month later, i sold it for 1900 after putting 1000 total into it. easy money these explorers are...:D

what do you think?

not to me. too old and very likey to need a lot of repairs beside a tranny. scrap value is probably around $400.

if theyre asking 650, they would take 500

FYI, I had purchased a 1992 Explorer XLT for 600 and drove it home on 3 cylinders. A month later, i sold it for 1900 after putting 1000 total into it. easy money these explorers are...:D

300? if i dont think i can make 1500-2000 min on them, i walk away.

300? if i dont think i can make 1500-2000 min on them, i walk away.
I made $900 total on the car. Bought it for 600, put 400 worth of repairs into it, put it up for 2500, sold it for 1900, and the odo didn't even work!!:bsnicker: (had about 140xxx but odo read 156xxx)

and imo stock does NOT suck...lol

Transmissions can be a problem, second gear stuff. I paid a grand for my 96 4.0L and other that trying to find a trans. that fit it aka direct bolt in, I love this little truck. I found a 95 that has the exact same drive train, same transmission, so I consider myself lucky. I have a spare transfer case if you are in my area (southern Wisconsin) I would consider selling it.

It is worth $400. I don't care if the guy told you it ran before the transfer case went out.

If it doesn't run, it is scrap metal, and that's all it is worth.

You will have to tow it, get parts, and put a bunch of labor into it, and HOPE that all that was wrong with it is what he told you was wrong. Unless you have a bunch of free time and are looking for a project, or are 100% sure about it, don't bother.

You can get just as broken of trucks for less than $400 any day of the week if you look around carefully enough.

unless you have a particular love for a '92 models that need major work, you should be able to find something much newer that needs minor repairs for a few dollars more. i recently picked up a near perfect '00 4dr V8 Mountaineer with 4 new Michlen tires ($800 right there) for $2K. used Sports are much cheaper than 4dr's.

The search is still on the move...will LYGK when I locate one and i'll ask about it. (just missed out on a 94 that had minor probs for 400 smacks..:(

The best I found was a 99 XLT for $700. The guy drove it to me, had working ac, 4wd, all the power options worked and it was in great shape! Just couldnt register it because the title was floated from owner to owner and was from out of state. I got it for parts but my neighbor told me I could have had the title straightened out - it would have taken some time and a little money, but it was a nice truck!

Still lookin lol :D

if you post your location maybe one or more of us would know of a deal?
just a thought.
Russ

I'm in no man's land, well in next to no mans land. In Rio Rancho NM, sitting beside Albuquerque New Mexico. LMK if there are any deals I am not aware of. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guy's, found another xplorer I like. Here are the details

-----------------------------------------------------------------
BODYMAN SPECIAL OR PARTS 1994 EXPLORER LEATHER 4X4 - $675 (ALB)

Date: 2012-12-27, 11:46AM MST
Reply to: see below
1994 FORD EXPLORER 4X4, 1OWNER, WAS RUNNING GOOD BEFORE ACCIDENT, FIX OR USE FOR PARTS, I HAVE CLEAN TITLE IN HAND, 688-7821
3Ge3N53H55L15F25X6ccp003efca396811937.jpg

He said he will take 550 delivered to our place. Is it worth it? 150k miles, 1 rip on drivers seat, 1 owner, need's radiator, hood, right side panel, grille, bumper, and probably a couple other thing's. Then I would need to have them painted white. I would love anyones thought's on this...thank you

Back