Is a Dana 44HD from a '77 as good/strong as one from a '78-79? Found one cheap. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is a Dana 44HD from a '77 as good/strong as one from a '78-79? Found one cheap.

I read the article but is there a code breakdown sheet somewhere posted that I can check the i.d. numbers with on the axle tube to make sure it's what he says it is and the axle I want?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

BOM.GIF

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/BOM_Info.htm

You the man, thank you!!!

Talked to the guy and found out it is setup for leafsprings and is 8 lug. Going to check it out tomorrow and possibly buy it. He has new spicer ball joints and bearings, seals, dust shields, rotors, etc... He also has the leafsprings from the truck as well, should I get those or go with a set of Grand Waggy leafsprings?

Talked to the guy and found out it is setup for leafsprings and is 8 lug. Going to check it out tomorrow and possibly buy it. He has new spicer ball joints and bearings, seals, dust shields, rotors, etc... He also has the leafsprings from the truck as well, should I get those or go with a set of Grand Waggy leafsprings?

Where is the axle located at, Jerry?

Not trying to hijack this thread but I also a Sport Trac that I am planning on doing a SAS on. I bought a 76 or 77 Bronco frame with a D44 still attached. Does anyone know if that is one of the better ones? Any comments good or bad?

Depends on if it's open or closed knuckles, u-joints sizes, axle tube thickness and if the wedges are welded or cast on. Check out the links Gman posted on the 1st page of this thread and it'll tell you the differences of the axles.

Vince, he lives over in Brentwood.

LOL. nice Hugh, real nice. LOL

Damn, now I'm torn between getting a Dana 44 from a '89 Grand Waggy for $100 or this Dana 44HD from the '77 F-250 for $250. The HD is probably stronger and high pinion but also full width and 8 lug where as the GW is damn near even in perfect width, 6 lug or easily swapped to 5 lug but is low pinion. Decisions, decisions. What do y'all think?

Then I gotta change out the rear axle with a full width= more $$$. I'm really torn because I wanna have the swap done by next summer at the latest. If I had all the money up front I'd just buy Chad's rig, wheel it and slowly build mine.

What axle is going in the rear?

Keeping the 8.8 with 5 on 4.5" lugs?

Swapping to a full width 8.8" with 5 on 5.5" lugs?

Swapping to a 9" or 10.5" rear?

Do you care to run 2 dif size spare tires or prefer 1 spare that fits both axles?

Be easier to swap in the waggy axle and keep the stock 8.8 in my opinion, but easier might not be what you care about. :dunno:

Edit: Took too long posting this and you have already thought about the rear axle!

Ya, I'd like to keep the 8.8 and do what Stang did on his Mounty with the Yukon C clip eliminator setup so I can do different bolt patterns if needed. I think I may just get the Waggy 44 and build it up. I can post a link for the '77 HD axle if anyone is interested. Too many things happening at once right now tying up funds to build what I really want to do. Lol, never fails.

The waggy one allows you to keep the 8.8, so in the end is cheaper really. Not knpwing much about the advantages of either my vote is on the one from the jeep. I think in the end either way it'll wheel most of what you throw at it. Especially because there aren't many PA guys that are all set up to wheel crazy. I'll probably try the f150 out in the woods next time we go out (maybe). This particular explorer will probably move down the road after the truck is refurbished to purchase a gas friendly car. Then when I get a house with a garage i'll be following in your steps with a RBV SAS.

Damn, now I'm torn between getting a Dana 44 from a '89 Grand Waggy for $100 or this Dana 44HD from the '77 F-250 for $250. The HD is probably stronger and high pinion but also full width and 8 lug where as the GW is damn near even in perfect width, 6 lug or easily swapped to 5 lug but is low pinion. Decisions, decisions. What do y'all think?
if its early 77 its low pinion. do you have a pickupull around? it wouldnt be to hard or expensive to go there and get a sterling to match. if it ends up a high pinion, i would get it. if its low pinion, i dunno.

they always say you never stop upgrading, ttb ends up d30 or d44, d44 ends up d60, d60 ends up upgraded, then a select few say screw it and go rockwell

If it is high pinion, the 77 is the way to go. The driveshaft angle is lower helps with life, allows more droop, and a big plus is the gear strength.

The conversion to 5 lug can be done with dodge or ford knuckles depending on if you want flat tops or not.

The axle you pick depends on what you want to do with the truck. I had an early Bronco 44 under my explore for a while. It was a good axle, but the truck felt unstable all the time. I put an f250 hp 44 in it and was much happier. The stability was a great improvement.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was supposed to go pick up the axle today, talked to the guy two days ago and yesterday. Called him today to let him know I was on my way and he let me know they were gone. WTF man, what happen to people. When I'm selling something or even giving something away for free if someone contacts me I hold it for them.

The search continues.

Back